Chapter 32 - to the moon and back

A/N - 58k reads!

Thank you so much for the continuous support all the way from the beginning up to now. 

When I released the first chapter, I thought that maybe only 100 people would read it, but to have nearly 60k reads is just amazing. I never thought I would actually release a book that people really enjoy reading.

Hope you have enjoyed it so far :)

2 days later

Rosie's POV:

"Rosie?". Keira's voice floated across the room towards me. I was engrossed in watching some random video on Tik Tok, so slowly replied, "mhm?". By not even looking up at her, I could tell she was staring at me, clearly unimpressed with my very unenthusiastic answer. She spoke again, "have you talked to Millie recently?". That made me look up from my phone screen and raise my eyebrows at her - confused at why she just randomly brought up Millie. 

The truth was, I hadn't spoken to her in a long time. I think it was at training, the day after the party. She had left numerous voicemails and messages on every single social media app possible, but I just couldn't bring myself to reply. Since it was the end of the season, I didn't have a reason to leave the house, go to training and see her there. It's not as if I didn't want to see her, I just wasn't sure where I would even start when telling her everything. Of course, I trusted her, but I'm trying to move on from what happened, not tell the story forever more. I wanted her to know, I just knew that I couldn't be the one to tell her. All I could picture when I thought about telling her, is her broken face. Confusion because she didn't realise. Probably anger at herself even though she couldn't have done anything. And most of all sadness, at the thought that I nearly disappeared from this world forever. 

Keira noticed my silence and said my name again. I sighed, put my phone down next to me and answered, trying to play it off as if I wasn't bothered, "no not really". She narrowed her eyes and questioned back, "what do you mean 'not really'?". I replied, "I-...We just haven't spoken in a while". She was sitting on the sofa with her legs stretched across it, but when I replied, she put both feet on the floor and asked, "and you're okay with that?". I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess...". She looked at me with a calm and gentle expression on her face, "have you told her what happened? Have you even spoken to her since you saw her at training before?". I shook my head to both questions and looked at the floor.  She continued, "Rosie, that was over a week ago...". I shrugged my shoulders again and replied, "so?". She replied to me, "do you not think she'll be worried that she's heard nothing from you in that long? She'll think you've broken up with her". I went to correct her and tell her that we were never actually girlfriends, but before I could, she carried on talking, "she cares about you just as much as we do. I think you should talk to her". I stood up and turned to face her, while smirking, "maybe" before leaving the room.

I went to grab a bottle of water out of the fridge to cool myself down because it was hot outside. 27 degrees to be exact. Living up in the north for my entire life, whenever there was a national heatwave in the UK, the temperature in Sunderland barely got above 20 degrees. And even then, there was either light rain or wind to accompany it with. Obviously because Lucy and Keira travelled about a bit on holidays and with club and country, they were completely used to it. I, however, was not. It was also recognisable that I had a suntan from all the football training I was doing outside in shorts. Previously for my school team, we trained in the school's gym because the boy's team got priority of the actual pitch. Unfortunately when I was in hospital, I still looked as white as a ghost. But that was my mission for the summer, to re-obtain my golden glow and be back to looking healthy again. 

Lucy had gone shoe shopping with Leah and Jordan but Keira didn't want to go so she said that she would stay home with me. That sounds as if I need babysitting, but I don't. I understand why they don't want me to be alone, and to be honest, I don't want to be alone either. When I'm on my own, it gives my brain time to run away with it's thoughts and think about things that I wouldn't necessarily think about if I was with company. You would think that in a pretty big house, two people wouldn't bump into eachother much. But it seemed that today, wherever I was, Keira was either there when I got there or she joined me. Each time we would see one another she would make comments such as, "you texted Millie yet?" or, "I think you should go and meet her instead of texting. Probably better for a situation like this". Each time, I just shook my head, but inside, I was laughing at how desperate she was for me and Millie to fix what had happened.