Chapter 13 - whatever

Lucy's Bronze's POV:

January 2nd 2022

Christmas came and went. Keira had moved back in a few days before and we had a small, secluded day. I tried to keep things as relaxed and undisturbed as possible. 

Then came Boxing Day. Rosie was supposed to meet my family then, but she said she wasn't feeling up to it, so I didn't push it. She had previously been forced to do things she hadn't wanted to do and I didn't want to drag those memories back. I wanted it to be a fresh start for her, and for me. Lately, she hadn't really been up to much at all. At first, I understood. Her whole life had changed in the space of a month. It was a lot for a 15 year old to comprehend all at once so I assumed she was just taking the time to adjust and understand everything.

After Boxing Day, there was New Year's Eve. Janine and Lauren joined me, Keira and Rosie. We watched the fireworks countdown to 2022 on television and then went outside where we set off our own in the back garden. Nothing major seemed out of the ordinary with Rosie then. She was distant, but still joined in with the celebrations. After the fireworks was the problem.

We walked back into the house, and I went upstairs to put a jumper on. When I came back down, Rosie was sat alone on the sofa, drinking what looked like a glass of coke, scrolling through Instagram. Lauren, Janine and Keira were busy trying to figure out a new tik tok dance so I joined Rosie. I flopped down on the sofa and asked her, "you okay?". Her eyes stayed focused on her phone while she answered, "yeh, I'm going to go to bed in a bit". I switched my phone on to see that it was 00.56 AM. We had spent ages trying to get the fireworks to work and then when I finally figured it out , Janine kept making bad jokes about all of us blowing up , stalling me even further. I nodded and agreed, "good idea". I was laughing at the others fail at the most simplistic of dance moves. Rosie's eyes were fixated on her phone, she was texting someone while taking slow sips out of her glass. 

After a while, the others were so exhausted from dancing, so they joined us on the sofas. Janine and Lauren were strewn along one while me and Keira were curled up on another.  Rosie had moved and was now sat on one of the bar stools towards the kitchen are. She had a blanket thrown around her head and shoulders and was still texting someone on her phone. It was beginning to irritate me, and clearly I wasn't the only one, "Hey, Rosie? Tell your boyfriend to leave you alone and come join us" Janine called over towards her. She didn't know Rosie was gay, but I wasn't going to correct her, it wasn't my place. She swivelled round on her stool and turned to face us, she looked pissed off. Her face was barely visible beneath the layers of blanket. This only irritated Janine even more, "take the blanket down, i'm sure you wouldn't want your boyfriend seeing you like that" she joked, but I cringed at the mention of Rosie's "boyfriend". I wasn't sure how Rosie would react to Janine's innocent mistake, but she just calmly swivelled back round, continuing to text on her phone and drink out her glass. An evidently tired, and slightly drunk Janine got up and marched across the room towards her. She pulled the blanket off Rosie's head, and when she was trying to put it back on, she snatched both her phone and the glass of coke. A surge of panic and worry filled Rosie's face as she desperately tried to grab both of her items back. Janine enjoyed keeping her in suspense, dangling her things higher than she could reach. This was the most interaction anyone had squeezed out of her all night, so she was determined to keep it going. Rosie was helplessly jumping up trying to retrieve her items, but Janine was too tall for her. This commotion went on for a little bit, while me, Keira and Lauren watched Janine being chased around the open-plan kitchen-living area. Lauren laughed, telling Janine to run faster. After that statement, Rosie shot a look of daggers towards her. Suddenly, her playful anger turned into a fierce, harsh anger. She yelled at Janine, "can you just stop it?! Give my stuff back!". This encouraged her even more and she took a sip out of Rosie's glass. An enraged Rosie stopped in her tracks, almost as if she knew what was coming..