Chapter 46 - the end

A/N - enjoy :)

Lucy Bronze's POV:

"Rosie, unfortunately you have a herniated disc in your spine". My daughter slumped back in her chair, wordless as I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. The doctor raised an eyebrow, silently asking me whether he should continue. I nodded my head, and he began to speak once again, "That is basically when a disc slips out of place and presses on the surrounding nerves. Any sports or physical activity will have to be paused for around 12 weeks, maybe more. If you don't rest, you could risk part paralysis or permanent nerve damage in the lower back". I was in a state of shock and confusion. How could something so serious have gone unnoticed for so long?

Silence filled the room - everyone waiting for someone else to speak so they wouldn't have to. After realising that neither Rosie or I were going to talk, the doctor continued, "we will start you on some pain medication and physio therapy. If this doesn't help, we'll move onto corticosteroid injections which are stronger than the tablets. There is also an option of osteopathy which helps to restore some stability of your back, but you have to pay for that". He looked at me and I responded surely, "I'll pay for whatever might help her get better". The doctor kept talking about every possible situation we could encounter, "in the worst case scenario, minor surgery will be an option. But sometimes it's not always the best choice because there are risks that accompany it". 

He handed me a sheet with basically everything he had just told us on. I asked, "we're due to be moving to Barcelona next week, will that affect any of Rosie's treatment?". The doctor frowned and asked, "is this a temporary or permanent move?". I sighed, not knowing the answer to his question, "I'm not too sure. We're moving for my job so it all depends on that". He nodded his head, "you'll be registered to a doctor's surgery in Barcelona which will follow the action plan I have set out here today. If more serious things such as MRI or CT scans or X-rays and surgery are required, it would be better to have that done here in England because there are less complications". Taking a mental note of everything he said, he questioned before I could say anything, "you're a footballer aren't you?". Smiling the best I could under the circumstances, I responded, "yes...time to begin another journey in Spain". He asked, "you should be familiar with the process of moving, like when you went to Lyon". I shook my head slightly, "when I went to Lyon, I didn't have a daughter to take care of as well". He laughed gently, "i'll wish you good luck then". Turning the Rosie, he spoke, "Rosie, this injury isn't the end of the world. You will get better, I promise you". She rubbed her forehead and said with a wobbly voice, "thank you".

After leaving the doctor's surgery and going to the pharmacy to collect Rosie's medication, she still hadn't spoken a word about it. I wrapped an arm around her as we stood in the kitchen and whispered, "we will get through this together. You can go as slow as you need, but please promise me that you won't stop trying". She didn't give me a response, so I continued talking in the hope that it would somehow relax and reassure her, "don't blame yourself for this because you can't prevent injuries. They're a part of life that comes with being a human. I promise you will be recovered soon". She pulled away from me and looked deep in my eyes, "promises mean fuck all to me now". Cringing at her chosen language, I frowned, "what do you mean?". At that moment a lone tear slipped down her cheek, but was immediately brushed away as she spoke with a voice laced with pain, "Millie promised she wouldn't hurt me, my old coach promised I would be the best footballer this season, I promised myself I would never try and kill myself again, even you promised you weren't hiding anything from me while you were planning Barcelona". 

Licking my lips as I remembered the night I had so easily lied to her and told her that there were no secrets. She kept talking as her voice kept breaking, "promises mean nothing to me. Don't say something you know you can't keep". I could see she was struggling to keep a lid on her growing emotions so I ended the conversation with, "fine, but this time I do mean it".