Chapter 12 - why?

A/N - sorry it's been so long since an upload, I've just had a really busy week. I have decided to write a slightly longer chapter to make up for it, so enjoy :)

Rosie's POV:
I woke up to the faint scratching noise of Narla's paws up against my bedroom door. Not thinking about that she was a dog, incapable of opening a full sized door, I shouted from my warm and comfortable bed, "come in!". Nothing happened for a few seconds. Still waking up from my slumber, I was confused why she didn't just come in. Eventually, the door slowly opened with Lucy carrying Narla in her arms. She laughed and announced, "you just told a dog to open a door". It was only then that I realised how oblivious I had been. At the sight of me, Narla immediately tried to escape Lucy's strong grip, desperate to greet me. Lucy let go of her, and she pounced straight onto my bed. I gave her a lot of cuddles before turning my attention to Lucy. She said, "Narla missed you, it's nearly 12 but I let you sleep in because you clearly needed it". I smiled at the fact that Narla, or rather Lucy, missed me. Normally, I didn't sleep past 8, but there was something special about my new bed that forced me to have the first most relaxing, uninterrupted sleep I had had in a while.

After talking to Lucy for a bit, I rolled out of bed. I hadn't even realised my mistake until Lucy's eyes were fixed on the self inflicted scars that scattered my legs. Due to my sleeping position, my shorts had rolled up, causing my skin to be exposed. I was thankful when Lucy didn't say anything, however, I knew it was another conversation that we needed to have. But that would all happen later. In a rush to ensure the conversation didn't happen now, I walked towards the bathroom, grabbing Lucy's spare dressing gown and sliding some slippers on. She seemed to have brushed off what has just happened, because she called out to me, "hurry up, I have something to show you". I was anxious for what she was going to show me. Every time my ex-parents had strung those same words together, it was never a good thing, but I knew that Lucy would never do anything like that to me.

I walked out of the bathroom with her dressing gown wrapped tight around me, I didn't want a repeat of what has just happened. Lucy was sat on my bed, petting Narla. When she saw me, she looked like a 7 year old on their birthday, eagerly waiting for their presents, "come onnn, you were ages" she said, dragging out the 'ages'. She ushered me out of my bedroom and down the stairs. She followed me, still holding Narla, "do you always carry her like that?" I laughed. This made her give me a small lecture on how small Narla's legs were and how she struggled to walk upstairs. When I got to the downstairs hallway, I paused before letting Lucy go In front of me, because I was unsure of where this 'thing' was going to be. She grabbed my hand before leading me into the kitchen. On the table was an envelope and two presents. They each had a bow on and there was a balloon that read out welcome home!. I smiled at how much effort Lucy had gone to for me. I walked towards the presents and saw that they were both wrapped in wrapping paper with Lucy's face on. I looked at her confused, "it was the only wrapping paper I had. Keira bought me it for Christmas one year". She explained. I laughed and said, "it's nice". I didn't care what the wrapping paper was, the fact that she had even thought about getting me a gift made me heart grow.

I sat down at the table whilst Lucy busied herself in the kitchen, preparing something for us to drink, "coffee?" She called across to me. Without thinking, "am I allowed?", Slipped out of my mouth faster than I could stop it. It was such a natural response, after been denied so many things for the last 15 years. As soon as I had said it, I could see Lucy freeze. I tried to understand how hard this whole situation must be for her and I wasn't making it any easier by dragging up the past, even unintentionally. Like before, she didn't react or say anything. She just wore a concerned look. I mumbled, "sorry" before turning my phone on and going on Instagram. I was doing anything to distract myself from the awkward tension. When Lucy has finished making the coffees, she brought them across to the table with a smile, clearly trying to block out the events that keep happening. She sat down next to me, picked up the envelope and handed it to me, "open this first, then the presents". She seemed to have her happy and excited mood back. I carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the card inside. On the front read, Welcome home!. In white writing, standing out against the pale grey background. I opened it and read the message inside out loud,