Chapter 20 - for you

A/N - thank you so much for the support on the recent chapters! 3 updates in 2 days. I think i'm becoming slightly obsessed with writing this, I hope you're enjoying reading it 😂 enjoy and let me know what you think :)

Saturday 12th February

Rosie's POV:

Stadium lights blaring, music playing lightly in the background, the smell of freshly cut grass as me and the rest of the U16's stepped out onto Kingsmeadow stadium for a first look of the pitch. I had hoped we were playing at Stamford Brige where the Chelsea men play, but I was still really pleased that we were playing where the women play instead. It was the first time I had ever played in a proper stadium. When I played for my school, we just played on the school field with roughly cut grass and goal posts falling apart. The difference was incredible. 

We travelled down on the team coach last night. It took 3 hours 30 minutes but everyone was in good spirits for the upcoming match so the time passed by like a flash of lightning. Keira and Lucy were also travelling down to watch me, hopefully, play my first match with Manchester City. It was my first trip away with the team and I was definitely not disappointed. Dinner at the hotel was full of laughter, a final intense training session in the evening was even fun. To end the night, everyone gathered in mine and Millie's hotel room to watch a film. Despite every wrong thing that had happened earlier in the week, I was enjoying relaxing before the big match tomorrow. 

We were just observing the pitch and passing light conversation when I heard a few of the girls squeal. I turned my body to see the majority of the team literally obsessing over Lucy and Keira who were leaving the tunnel. Despite being a part of the team for over a month now, very few knew that Lucy was my mum. I had decided it would be best if they judged me for me, instead of who my mum was. Thankfully, she understood my wishes and respected them. Instead of coming down to collect me as soon as training was finished, she would text me where she was parked or wait for a good 20 minutes before coming to greet me. Only my coach and the girls who would stay late after training knew about her. I wanted to keep it that way but I knew it would be hard when she wanted to show up to my games to watch me play so I accepted that one day, everyone would know. I guess today is that day.

When me and Keira made eye contact, she waved at me and smiled. This made one of my teammates, Ruby, become absolutely stunned, "oh my God Rosie! Keira Walsh just waved and smiled at you!". She began to fan herself as she announced, "my best friend was just waved at by Keira Walsh everybody!". I laughed as she was now calling me her best friend when in reality, we barely speak outside of training. Imagine what shes going to do when she finds out the truth. Deciding not to not tell them just yet and keep it going, I waved back and smirked towards both Lucy and Keira. It was clear they understood what I was doing because Lucy simply said, "you alright Rosie?". This made another one of my teammates, Alex, exclaim, "how the hell are you so calm right now?! Why aren't you freaking out that one of the best players in the world knows your name?". I just shurgged my shoulders and placidly said, "guess i'm used to it". This made all they girls very confused to what was happening. They were all too star-struck to comprehend what the meanings of my previous sentence were so I chose to make them even more bewildered by walking up to Keira and Lucy and giving them each a hug while asking, "how was the journey down?". It seemed that Ruby was the only one who had caught on to the situation, "wait...how the hell are you friends with them?!". I took a deep breath in before announcing, "everyone this is my mum and her girlfriend...". After that, everyone went absolutely crazy asking me questions to the dozen, "can I have a signed shirt?""can I get a picture?" and many more along the lines of. 

While everyone was obsessing over my family, I took the time to grab a ball and do some preparation for the match that was now only an hour away till kick-off. I was on number 54 of keepy uppies when my coach, Francesca, began walking over towards me. She just watched me for a bit until I failed on one, "nice. How many was that then?". I bent over to pick up the ball and replied, "78. Getting closer to 100 now". She just smiled and said, "you'll get there eventually. Anyway I wanted to talk about the game with you. I've decided that you will be on the bench and if everything goes to plan you'll be coming on at half time for Alex in your position as a right winger. That okay?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was actually going to get a chance to play today. After stuttering for a bit, I eventually managed to say, "yesss I can't wait. I'm not going to tell anyone though including Keira and Lucy. I want it to be a surprise". Francesca laughed and said, "you do you. I won't tell a single person".