Chapter 15 - you ready?

2 days later - Saturday 22nd January

Rosie's POV:
"Rosie! Hurry up, we're going to be late!" Called Lucy from downstairs. I looked in the mirror, smoothed down my Nike academy tracksuit and tightened the bun in my hair. My boot bag was already downstairs so I just had to pick up my phone and make my way down towards a frustrated Lucy. On my way out, I gave Keira a quick hug as she wished me good luck.

In the car, Lucy kept stealing glances towards me. Finally I broke the ice, "why do you keep staring at me?". She laughed and said, "I'm not staring at you. I'm just wondering how you're acting so calm. On the day of my trial I was absolutely terrified, I swear I went to the bathroom about 50 times before we left the house because I was so nervous". She lowered her sun visor and put her sunglasses on. The sun was deceiving however, because outside, it felt like the Arctic. I shrugged my shoulders before responding, "I just don't do nerves. I mean obviously I'm a little bit anxious but it's whatever. If I don't get in, I'll just trial at Manchester United". I laughed at the last bit as Lucy shot me a death glare and almost growled, "you will do no such thing". She seemed triggered at the mention on Man Utd because for the rest of the journey she couldn't stop talking about the Manchester derby she was playing in tomorrow. I decided to take the piss out of her hatred towards them by saying, "you know, I'm not sure if I want to trial at Man City. After all, Man Utd have all the great players like Mary Earps and Ella toone. Oh, and Ronaldo also plays there. Man City only has one decent player...Kevin De Bruyne". Her face scrunched up in disgust at the mention of her rivalry club, her eyes narrowed and she just shook her head, almost too shocked to speak. I laughed at her and she just stared at me. I managed out, "I'm only joking! As if I would ever play there". She loudly produced a sigh of relief, "better be true or I'll tell Gareth" she laughed at my panic stricken face. I could tell she was joking, but the last thing I wanted to do was make a bad impression with my future coach. We arrived at the City training grounds as she exclaimed, "ooh look we've arrived, perfect timing to tell him". I shook my head at her desperate attempts to wind me up.

We got out of the car. Lucy confidently strode up to the big glass doors, waving and saying hello to anyone who passed. I, however, was timidly following her, clutching my boot bag and water bottle as close to me as possible. She held the door open for me as we stepped into the big open space of the reception area. The receptionist greeted us with a smile and I quietly said, "I've got an appointment with Gareth Taylor at 2pm". She nodded her head and told us to take a seat and he would be down soon. I said to Lucy as we were sitting down, "told you we wouldn't be late". She rolled her eyes and replied, "we would have been if me and Keira hadn't practically dragged you out of bed this morning. I smiled at the remembrance of me desperately fighting to have 15 more minutes. I quickly learned that I was no match for Lucy and her inhumane strength.

We were just sat on the sofas in the reception area. I was texting Millie and Rach, and Lucy was on Instagram posting about this weekends derby. Most of the England squad had already wished me good luck this morning when Lucy announced it on the group chat, they all seemed happy for me, especially Georgia and Hempo. Jordan was happy for me, but wished I was coming to Arsenal instead.

By the time Gareth came down to collect me, I had already drank my bottle of water so Lucy had to go and fill it up for me. I offered to go but she was insistent that I should stay in case he came and I wasn't there. I tried to reassure her that he would wait, but she wasn't having any of it and wouldn't let me go. In the end, she got tired of me complaining that I would blame her if I became ill of dehydration and went to fill my bottle up herself. She got back in plenty of time for Gareth's arrival.

Once he had greeted us, we followed him to a 3G pitch outside. I sat down, put my new boots on and laced them up while Lucy talked to Gareth about the upcoming game. It was the first time I had worn them outside of my garden. Lucy had made sure that I broke them in before my trial and that I was prepared after being out for over a month. She reassured me that the endless running and shooting drills would all be worth it in the end. I just hoped she was right.