Chapter 33 - oh shit...

3 weeks later...

6th July 2022

Rosie's POV:

Walking towards Millie will never get old. Her dirty blonde hair flowing in the light breeze and her aqua blue eyes sparkling in the July sun. I couldn't help but let my eyes travel down her body - from her toned legs to her England top with WILLIAMSON on the back. She smirked, "my eyes are up here". I rolled my eyes and pulled her in for a quick hug. She reciprocated before pulling back and asking, "who've you got on the back of your shirt?". I smiled widely and answered, "BRONZE, obviously". She grinned at my response even though she knew what my answer would be before I even spoke. I continued talking while we walked towards the entrance of Old Trafford, "I also have a WALSH shirt so i'm going to wear that to one of the games for definite". She spoke, "Williamson will have my back thoughout the whole tournament". 

This moment reminded me of my first ever Lionesses game that my ex-best friend Amelia took me to. I had been to many more games since then, but that one was the reason I was reunited with Lucy. And even if me and Amelia don't speak anymore, I will always be grateful for her. Her family bought the tickets for my birthday present and they even got me a shirt with BRONZE on the back. It was just over 6 months ago. And to think that now my last name is Bronze and I know all of my idols personally. They're still my idols though, especially Lucy. 

It was about 2 hours until kick-off, but Manchester was buzzing with excitement ahead of the match. Crowds of people singing, a band playing 'Sweet Caroline' and hundreds of white England home shirts with the players' names on the back. Millie and I spotted every single players' name on the back of a shirt in only 5 minutes. It was great to see that the whole country was getting behind the team. Last December in Sunderland, there were only 7,000 people. There is an expected 70,000 today. The amount of support was incredible - and this was only the opening game. Imagine if we get to the final. 

Millie gripped my hand in hers as we collected our lanyards from a security guard. They basically just gave us permission to access all areas of the stadium. I had been staying with Steph for the last 2 weeks while the whole team were at a preparation camp, so I was a little bit nervous to see them all again. We wandered through the corridors and made our way out to the pitch. It smelt of freshly cut grass as we walked out of the tunnel at Old Trafford. Both of us in awe of the stadium, I whispered, "imagine playing here". She grinned, "I was thinking the same thing...it's incredible!". 

As we walked onto the pitch where the team were currently talking amongst themselves, Sarina was the first to notice us. She waved and wandered up to us, smiling. I leant in for a hug and she said, "nice to see you again Rosie. And I see you've brought your girlfriend along as well". I bit my lip and tried to hide the large smile that wanted to creep onto my face, but I failed. She chuckled and proceeded to greet Millie. I left them both to talk to eachother when I spotted Lucy with her back to me.

 A few of the girls greeted me as I jogged past them, but they knew that I had to see Lucy first. I surprised her by jumping on her back, causing her to stumble in shock. She let me down and turned around to see who it was, and immediately pulled me into her embrace when she saw that it was me. Lifting me off the floor and holding me extremely tight, she said, "Rosie! I missed you so much!". I wrapped my legs around her waist, and my arms around her neck as she refused to let go of me. I rolled my eyes playfully and remarked, "I only spoke to you yesterday...". She gently dropped my legs to the floor and replied, "That was over the phone. I haven't seen you in 2 weeks though...I missed you". I wrapped my arms around her waist and mumbled, "I missed you too". She deserved to know how much I loved and appreciated her, even if I wasn't too good at showing my emotions clearly and regularly. Keira also pulled me in for a comforting hug and asked, "Were you good for Steph?". I joked with them, "No, I burnt her house down, ran away a few times and pushed her down the stairs". They laughed lightly and rolled their eyes as Georgia joined in the conversation, "I can actually believe that". I frowned slightly and pushed her shoulder softly, "hey! I'm not that bad...". Her, Lucy and Keira all shared a glance that indicated to me it was time to switch the conversation before they started to take the piss out of me. But luckily, Georgia did before I could say anything, "I see you've brought your girlfriend". I glanced towards Millie who was now talking with Beth, Leah and Mary. Clearly she could feel my gaze on her, as she turned round, made eye contact with me before smirking and turning away. I murmured, "she's not my girlfriend". She's not, but I really wish she was.