Chapter 30 - proud

A/N - chapter 30 already! Hope you're enjoying reading it as much as I am writing it 

Lucy Bronze's POV:

The layout of the hospital was like a work of art. A maze of entrances, exits and dead ends. Dead ends not only in terms of construction, but also life. Almost everyone who you walked by in the lone corridors looked in pain - whether it was physical or mental, it blanched their faces. The entire ward completely devoid of any form of sound - silence only being broken when by the nearing footsteps of a nurse or a doctor to offer their words of sympathy, happiness or condolence. The scent of get well flowers and antiseptic enshrouded on a small and rather crowded (at times) room. In the corner with the squeaky door and the low-volumed TV that was permamently on Match Of The Day, was room 301. Rosie's room. 

Her pale and delicate body slumped against a sad looking pillow on the crisp white bed. Almost camoflaged by her white body on white hospital bed. Keira was sat as close as possible to her as I watched life pass by out of the small window. A garden found in front of the entrance tried to enhance the whole aesthetic of the building - almost making it look inviting. Meticulously cared for by a specific hospital gardener who would water the miserable plants and deafen everyone with the lawnmower. I stared intensely at the little old man in his wheelchair looking happy as ever, laughing with who I assumed to be his friends or family. A small child in a leg cast, trying to use crutches but failing and causing his dad to protectively scoop him up and put him on his shoulders. Despite being in the most painful and traumatising place, they all seemed happy. 

That's the key word - seemed. As far as I was aware, Rosie seemed to be happy, but look how that turned out. I felt guilt for not realising it sooner. Anger at myself for being completely oblivious to it. Confusion to why she did it. But that is the most important thing i've learnt over the past few days - never ever push someone to tell you the reason. As gently as I could, I questioned her and she stared deep into my soul before curling up in a ball under the covers of her bed. It seemed that her emotions were non existent now as I hadn't seen a tear or a smile appear in quite a while. 

Yesterday my mum called me when I was with one of the doctors discussing the plan for when Rosie leaves this prison. She had called to ask if me, Rosie and Keira were alright and if she could come down to see us sometime this week. I wasn't even sure whether we would be out of hospital, back at home or somewhere else, so I just told her, "I don't think that's a good idea. We're really busy this week, sorry". Immediately, her sixth sense came into action and she knew  something was wrong. After all, it was the end of the season - how could we be busy? She fired the questions at me, "what do you mean? Lucy what's going on? Is everything alright? Are you okay? Is Rosie okay? Is Keira okay?". I bit my lip and ran my hands through my hair in frustration that she was so observant. The doctor still standing beside me, clearly able my mum's loud and concerned voice on the other side of the conversation. I really didn't want to tell my mum without Rosie's permission, but it would only make her more concerned if I didn't tell the truth. So I told her, desperately trying to hold back the flood of tears. I actually think that I've cried more this week than I have in my entire life. As I expected, my mum was taken a-back and couldn't even manage to speak so she hung up the phone. Later, I received a text: 

Mum 💕👩 - You and Keira stay strong and look after her. I will try and get down to see you asap. Love you all xxx

This morning, a nurse we hadn't seen before pushed open the squeaky door. Her white clothing blending in with almost everything in the room. She began to get ready to give Rosie some of the medication she had been taking when Keira interrupted her, "that isn't making her any better, it's making her much worse. Can't you see?". I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder while the nurse shrugged and said in a matter of fact tone, "when someone chooses to take an overdose, they have to put up with the consequences of being ill after it". She was really pissing me off now, and I could tell that Keira was getting fired up to start shouting at her, but I cut in before war erupted, "she didn't choose to do anything. You're a nurse, aren't you supposed to be caring and sympathetic?". She scowled back at me and I raised my eyebrow at her, giving her my signature glare that had terrified many people multiple times over the course of the past few days. She proceeded to walk towards Rosie's bedside, carrying the tablets on a little tray, but once again, Keira halted her actions, "don't give her that. I don't want her having it". I rubbed her lower back to confirm with her that I didn't want Rosie ingesting those tablets either and that she had made the right decision to stop it. The nurse looked between us before stating, "I will still be giving them to her because as far as I'm aware, you don't have the right to make that decision because you're not her mother". I looked her up and down before looking daggers right into her pupils, "no, but I am. Leave". She rolled her eyes and put the tray back on her trolley before muttering as she walked out, "you famous people think you're more important than everyone else". I shook my head after her and turned to Rosie who had been present in the whole altercation. Or rather half present. Her eyes were shut so I had no idea whether she was awake or not, but I got my answer when she murmured, "she was a bitch" and rolled over in her bed, turning to face the window.