Chapter 19 - they were too late

Rosie's POV:

Walking down the stairs felt like I was walking into an abyss. An abyss I wouldn't be able to escape from, no matter how hard I screamed and shouted. A millions questions were still cascaded all over my disjointed brain, aching to be answered. The only person who could do that, was Lucy Bronze.

Keira placed a comforting hand on my shoulders as I walked into the kitchen/living area but as soon as I saw Millie, I released myself from her grip. Instead, I attached myself to Millie's upper body, clinging on as if my life depended on it. The familiar sweet smell of her coconut shampoo awakened my nostrils. My arms were wrapped around her neck and my head simply rested on her chest. I could hear her racing heart due to the closeness between us. Her arms were just placed on my lower back - almost supporting my entire body weight. As we pulled away, she tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ears and gently said, "i'm going to go now okay? Text me how things go please". I nodded slowly and she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before dissappearing down the hallway. My face began to heat up as I realised both Keira and Lucy were watching us, but I tried to remain cool in anticipation of the upcoming conversation...

Keira went over to the sofa Lucy was sat on and joined her, leaning up against her body while Lucy placed one arm around her waist. I rolled my eyes at how unjust this conversation was about to be. Deciding not to sit, I stood awkward with my arms crossed staring at them both. I had given myself a quick getaway option if it was necessary - all I had to do was walk out the door, instead of bothering with getting up from a seat. Trying to make this conversation as short and salty as possible I just dived in head first, "so...who's going to tell me who Neil Leyton is and why he's texting Lucy about me?". They both wore guilty looks - especially Keira but they stayed silent, each one of them wishing the other would explain to spare themselves the pain. As no one spoke, I rolled my eyes once more and said sarcastically, "unbelievable". They couldn't even look me in the eye and tell me the truth of who this person was and what he had to do with my family. I remember when me and Keira were talking late one night, she told me that Lucy was the most honest person she knew. Clearly she must have either been 1. Drunk or 2. Just saying that to make me feel better. Fed up with the situation I was in, I began to walk out of the room. However, a voice muttered, "wait". Turning around, I saw the voice came from Lucy. Her and Keira exchanged a glance before nodding towards eachother.

"I'm just going to explain the whole situation as calm as possible so just listen" Lucy spoke. I decided to give her one chance to make things right. Only one though.

"I haven't been granted custody over you and your foster parents want you to come back to Sunderland. Neil is overseeing all of the legal things". 

That single sentence burned a hole of confusion through my body. A wave of emotions overcame me : anger, fear, confusion, resentment towards my foster parents, pain, loneliness but most of all, betrayal from Lucy and Keira - the two people I always thought would tell me the truth, no matter how hard it was. I shook my head in disbelief and rested it on the palm of my hand. Isolated words floated through my brain, unable to join with eachother to form sentences. I stuttered and faltered while they both just sat and stared at me. How else did they expect me to react? 

The only few words I barely managed to piece together were, "how long have you known?". I internally groaned after I had spoken it and a feeling of ambiguity arose. Desperate to know the answer, but also dreading it at the same time. I took my head off my hand and gave them both piercing, sinister eye contact. It was Keira's turn to speak. She answered my question confidently and surely, "3 weeks" but Lucy spoke up, "2 months" This time, Keira looked as shocked as me but didn't dare to say anything, she just reached over and gripped onto Lucy's hand. How could she comfort her after she'd just lied to both of our faces?