Chapter 41 - uncomfortable

A/N - I was waiting for 100k reads before I uploaded and it's finally happened!! I actually can't thank you all enough for reading my book, voting and commenting. I still can't believe that people all over the world have read this, from the UK to the Phillipines and India. It means the world to me x

Rosie's POV:

Beads of sweat dripped down my forehead from running. It felt like running was the only way for my brain to completely process what had just happened. I had just told my mother who is a professional footballer that I don't want to play football anymore. What the fuck?

I saw both Keira and Lucy's cars on the drive as the gates opened, they must have come here straight after the game. Inhaling deep breaths of fresh air, I composed myself, trying not to look like an absolute mess after playing 60 minues of football and then running for ages.

Walking up to the door and pushing down the handle, it didn't move meaning the door was locked. Great, as if this whole situation wasn't already awkward enough. Slowly pressing the doorbell down, I looked through the glass in the door and saw a person moving towards me. The door swung open and Keira appeared. I couldn't quite figure out how she was feeling from her facial expressions but I could tell that Lucy had told her. Hurt maybe? Confused? She didn't give anything away from her poker face as I stepped inside the warm house, contrasting to the cool air outside. Her lips remained tightly shut, not uttering a word to me.

I wandered down the hallway with Narla bouncing at my feet, desperate for me to play with her. But I couldn't, not right now. Lucy was sat on a sofa with a glass of red wine sat on the coffee table. I know she's not actually playing football now, but drinking at 5pm? That is definitely not like her.

After she looked up and saw that it was me, she picked up her wine glass and took a long drink before muttering, "I'm surprised you came back this early". Frowning, I glared back, "what's that supposed to mean?". She shook her head and simply took another drink. I couldn't believe that she would even say that to be honest. The last time I disappeared, Rachel's girlfriend found me lying on a bench after having an overdose. Surely she knows the potential risk of me being alone. I have no idea what's got into her but all of a sudden she's acting like a real bitch.

Silently wishing that Keira would hurry up and join us to keep everything calm, Lucy spoke again, "why didn't you tell me?". Confused by her question that could mean many things, I asked, "what do you mean?". Shaking her head and laughing sarcastically, she replied, "you know what I mean. You could have told me you didn't want to play football, I wouldn't have been offended. Why do you feel the need to keep secrets from me? I'm supposed to be your mother, the person you can talk to about anything". Looking down at the floor, I licked my lips nervously, "I want to play football in the future, just not right now...". She replied, "I can't believe i've been pushing you to do something you don't even want to do. Why is it so hard for you to talk to me about football?". I felt a little bit bad for her, but I didn't show any of that emotion, "because I didn't want to disappoint you. To be a footballer, you're not supposed to give up. I didn't want you thinking I was a quitter". She raised her eyebrow and took another drink, "still, you could have told me". Not even looking her in the eyes, I gritted my teeth and told her straight, "maybe if you weren't so focused on moving to fucking Barcelona and leaving me here, I would have told you". Almost choking on her drink, she spat a bit out in shock and it went on the sofa, "fuck, Keira's going to kill me". I laughed and sarcastically said, "maybe you shouldn't be drinking wine and 5 in the afternoon. You're going to have to give that up before you move to Spain". Rolling her eyes at me, she asked sternly, "how do you know?". I huffed, "oh so it is true? I was only having an educated guess, but thanks for confirming it". She interrupted me, "Rosie, let's not talk about it. We have more important things to be talking about". Frowning at her, I said, my voice cracking half way through, "you said you weren't keeping anything from me that involved me". She attempted to explain herself but failed so simply said, "we can talk about everything and I'll explain". I smirked and said before walking out, "I'd rather talk to you when you're sober". Hearing her call my name, I stormed down the hallway and up the stairs to my room.