1

𝙡𝙚𝙩 𝙢𝙚 𝙜𝙤

Marcus's deep blue eyes look at mine in full sorrow, tears rolling down our cheeks knowing only one of us are leaving here alive. I hug him tight nearly slipping off of the cornucopia as he pulls away,
"I'm sorry, tell mum I love her. Please forgive me..." he whispers as I see the knife he pulled from my pocket.

"No please don't-" before I can finish I see my brother fall to the floor, knife sticking from his stomach. I hardly hear the cannon as I hunch over his body a flood of tears poring from my bloodshot eyes.

Just then I wake up, Finnick is above me, "don't worry, I'm here. You're safe, it's over," I sit in shock as he huddles me in his arms, rocking me to calm down. "Did you see him again?" He whispers before planting a kiss on my forehead.

"It's my fault," I mutter as Finnick strokes my hair. "He should be here, not me," I feel his grip on me getting tighter as I say this.

"Look, he wanted you to stay alive, it's not your fault. You understand he loved you," I look up into his eyes after saying this but I can't say a word, there's a lump in my throat from crying. Instead I just grasp him in the hug and he understands I want to thank him for being there for me.

Later in the day we are laying on the couch his arms wrapped around my waist as the fire crackles. Today they're announcing what they'll be doing for the third quarter quell, they might make adults go in, maybe you can only go in if voted. Just as I'm brainstorming all of the horrible things the capitol could do the tv manually turns on with the capitol seal showing up playing the annoying music that's always at the start of interview or mandatory announcements.

President snow appears on screen as Finnick grip tightens and his body tenses up. "Snake." Is all he says loosening his grip slightly on me so I wouldn't have a sore hip. I cannot blame him after what the foul man put him through but I don't say anything to make him feel worse. Snow stands up announcing the third quarter quell and why we have the games when he's joined with another man holding a dark wood box with a golden clip.

President snow picks up a yellow envelope with a big 75 on the back and returns to the microphone before opening it. He then proceeds to pull out an even lighted yellow slip of paper and clear his throat.
"As a reminder that even the stronger cannot overpower the capitol. On this 75th games the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors, in each district." I stare at the tv blankly not realising the tears that had escaped my eyes. I tune out the mans voice as I sit up, there were only 2 females here me and Mags and I will never allow her to go in their. She's too old, too fragile she has to die naturally. In peace.

A few moment later Fin just leaves the room but I didn't stop him I can't I know what's happening inside his twisted mind.

Mags knocks on the door then let's herself in, after she hangs her coat up I go and give her a hug before bringing her to sit next to me in Odair's living room. "Mags," I have a feeling she already knows where this is going. "If I get reaped, please I repeat please don't volunteer for me. I will never forgive myself if you die in there," she shakes her head disapprovingly.

I place my hands on hers as tears fall from her eyes, "promise me you won't, promise." She pulls me in for a hug until she let's go and heads upstairs to Finnick. Instead of staying I head to the house I was rewarded for winning, I knock before coming in to let my uncles know I'm there. I find them in the sitting room in silence probably taking in the news. I head up to the bedroom that they let me use if I stay over and go through my stuff that I left behind from when I stay there. Most of my valuables or things I can't look at because they hurt me stay, this is where I find my old bracelet.

I place the pearl bracelet on my wrist with memory's flooding back about the small girl who gave it to me, my best friend Annie Cresta. She died in the 70th hunger games not long after me, I miss her so much and not a day goes by without at least thinking about he long ginger hair that waved in the wind sitting at the beach. I wish I could've volunteered again and taken her place, I wish she were here right now.