24

𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧. 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐧𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠. (this message is from 𝟔.𝟎𝟕.𝟐𝟑)

𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐝𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐢 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬, 𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞, 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥, 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡. 𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐦'𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧. 𝐍𝐨𝐰, 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲!

𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙢 𝙙𝙤𝙬𝙣

𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚔

"Go. Go first, I promise I'll be right behind you," she tells me, manoeuvring around me and shoving me harshly up the ladder.

"But Blair wante-" I begin my shortly lived sentence as she cuts me off.

"I'm smaller, harder to catch, quicker. She needs you more than me right now so get the bloody hell up that ladder before we both get ourselves killed. Besides, I don't need your help, I'm my own person, now go." She might as well have been shouting at me, once again shoving me up the ladder.

Giving in, I clamber up the metal ladder holding my hand out and get a boost up from Gale who sat there waiting for the others to join. I look down at the ladder to no longer see Ashley but Katniss climbing up. Fuck, what's this girl doing. Leaning down I pull Katniss up to make it easier for Ashley to get to us.

Sitting back to let Katniss have room to pull Ashley up but as I watch; nothing is happening.

"Katniss! Help me up!" Ashley's helpless shouts call out, I see her fingertips grazing over the opening. Still, Katniss does nothing but stare down at her.

I try shove my way to the small opening in front of Katniss but there's no point, she won't let me past. "Katniss, help her!" I cry to her, hoping something will happen before it can't. Finally, after nothing happened except grunts and shouts of pain from the girl below I get past Katniss.

Her hand falls back barely grazing my own, her body is swallowed by a crowd of mutts, I can't reach her, not anymore. "Finnick! Make it stop." The screams of agony fall around. I can't reach her.

Barely audible whispers come from Katniss' lips who now got herself half in front of me, dropping the holo down into the abyss below. Blowing up whatever remains. Finalising the mutts and Ashley's deaths.

Everything I was here to protect had gone down with that holo, the mutts, the capitol. Katniss.

"Why didn't you help her?" My voice an inaudible whisper yet heads still turn to face me. There's nothing stopping my hands forming into tight fists, my knuckles white and my nails ripping my skin.

"I did all I-" Katniss tries to speak but her answer was not what I wanted; not what I needed.

"No, she was right there. Why didn't you help her? Why didn't you pull her up?" Now, shouting. Tears threatening to fall from my eyes. "She's dead because of you. Don't you get it- they're all dead because of you, Katniss."

Katniss didn't know what to do, she was caught in her own throat. "I didn't- they already-" the words were formed for her but even her herself knew, she could've saved Ashley. She could've pulled the child from her death place. She could've stopped one more pointless death.

"Look, Finnick, you need to calm down," Gale cuts in, "she's gone, you gotta accept that. Now, we need to go." He turns back to the rest of the team and I find my self sinking into the darkness of the shadows.

"You'd never understand Gale, not with that obsession of yours blinding your every move," only now I had turned to face everyone.

"What did you just say?" He questions me, obvious anger building up.

"I'm saying at least I know love, to love, to be loved. You're just a selfish boy obsessed with a good looking girl," my words were dryer than mountains.

Just as he was about to come at me a hand lies on his shoulder and something is whispered in his ear.

"Let's just go." That's all the reply I got before everything was dark again.

Following the others was like treading thick gunk water, wavering in and out of being present in the moment. The ringing in my ears was non-stop as I tread behind the others, no one bearing me a glance.

Only making things worse was the fact we were once again running, people were calling things out to me but all that replaced the noice was a terrible ringing.

My surroundings were blurred from the stale tears trapped in my eyes but it was bright now and I could make out some of the noises surrounding me. I knew we were being shot at, I knew we were higher, I knew we were nearly out, I knew Ashley died hating me, and that's forever.

"Katniss!"

We all spin to look at the wide shaft of golden light that radiates from the ceiling to the floor, entrapping Messalla inside like a statue. His mouth stretched wide like he's screaming in pain, yet none of us can hear him, none of us can help him. We just watch in pure shock — utterly helpless as the beam melts the flesh off his body like he's nothing but candle wax.

Peeta starts shoving us all forward, yelling something along the lines of us being unable to help him. Peeta roughly grabs ahold of my hand pulling me from my trance and pulling me away from Messalla who's now trapped in his own, deathly state.

We continued running pulling away from the others I knew I couldn't control the deaths but Katniss could've saved her. She could've done something, and I will never forgive her for the loss of Ashley.

The floor being torn apart by grinders moving faster than I was causing my pass to quicken. Shouts from all around were hitting my ears but not making it to my brain, still I kept running.

I didn't turn around to see who else made it over the last line, quite frankly I don't think I could care about that anymore. All that's running through my mind is a picture of Ashley, her hand clawing at the opening; knowing there was no one to help her. Her delicate face as she was pulled down, her hand retracting and being the last thing of her to be seen. Her voice, it tortured me to have that moment stuck on a loop fresh in my mind.

I just wanted it to stop.
I just wanted all of it to stop.