22

𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧

𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚔

It's been a little while now since we got to the capitol, I'm always watching out for Ashley. Even if I don't get back for Blair she must, they need each other, Blair needs her more than me.

As dark falls I scoot over to her, "Hey Ash, you okay?" She twirled her thumbs as I speak.

"Yeah I'm fine, what about you, are you okay?" In all honesty no but I'm not saying that to anyone. Her gaze drifts to my face.

"I really don't get what Blair sees in you," her scoff made me turn, I could tell it was a joke and went along with her.

"And I really don't get what Blair sees in me either," the statement comes out in a harsh tone rather than the joking one and everyone turns.

I quickly got up and walked over to my tent, how embarrassing was this.
As I watch the stars I'm reminded of the times in four, me and Blair would take late walks at the beach and stargaze. This is when I remember 'stargazing' is one of the things Peeta tells Blair, it all makes sense, 'Annie, the pearl bracelet, stargazing, sugar-cubes, sand, rosemary, blue and gold.' It was all things to help her, that's what she must tell him. To keep each other knowing what's real.

Guilt charges over me in a few waves getting bigger and bigger with every thought. This is why she always wanted to see him, this is why she got angry when people said bad things about him, this is why she was mad at Katniss. All this time I kept him away from her thinking he was able to hurt her but she was right, she could help him.

Katniss sits down next to me pulling me back into reality as she speaks, "what are you thinking about?" She asks.

"Oh nothing just Blair," I reply, her eyes turn to the floor as I finish.

"She really does love you, but there's something else when Peeta is brought up. She gets so... mad and overprotective," she shakes her head.
"I don't know why; she hardly knows him," as she prepares to get up and leave I stop her.

"When they speak the jumble of words, do you know what it means?" I ask, she shakes her head before standing.
"It's things they remember," I don't even know how it came out but I said it. "Seven things each, they tell each other. I think it's to help them remember," Katniss's eyes fall back to me as her body stands tall above.

"Well done, but I really don't think that they need it." She says before turning to leave.

I stay where I am for the rest of the night as I fall asleep letting darkness take me. When I finally awaken from the blackness it's to a beautiful sunrise, but I can here faint sobs coming from the direction of Ashley. Feeling as it's my job to help her I sneak over trying to to wake anyone up.

When I reach her I'm correct on it being her faint sobs from the distance. "Are you okay, you can tell me what's wrong," I place my arm around her and pull her body close so she feels somewhat protected.

"I don't want to die Finnick, I don't want to," she manages to make the sentence leave her mouth between the sobs.

I feel bad for her as she is young, "Ashley, you know I'll do anything to keep you alive and safe. Even if it means I get hurt, or worse, I promise." I struggle for a second to tell her the second sentence but she knows why.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry," her arms hug me tightly and I can't do anything but return her one back.

It just breaks my heart for her to be like this, even through my promise was made I hope I don't have to worry about it.

After a few days very little has happened, except Peeta has taken the place of Leeg 2 who died from a mislabeled pod.
Peeta didn't talk much until we started playing the real or not real game. This is where Peeta asks a question and we tell him if it's real or not followed by a short explanation.

"Orange, green, rooftop, bakery, cakes, cave, stew, the meadows. Real or not real?" He asks but nobody answered leading him to demand again, "real or not real?"

I sigh, "real, that's the good things you could remember while in the Capitol," I pause and every eye is going back and forth between me and Peeta. I break the awkward silence quickly, "Blair told me. That's who you say it with, she tells you that and you tell her seven back."

Peeta notes that down in his head before moving onto another question. I find Katniss had moved next to me,
"So is that what they always mutter to each other?" Her ask sounded almost rude but I don't take it that way, instead I speak to her about it.

"Blair says it over and over when she's scared, it almost makes her remember she's okay." I continue to tie nots in the frayed rope that lay before me in my hands.

"It doesn't make sense, how doesn't it make him. You know change," I look up to her before replying.

"Probably because it's from in the capitol and with someone thats not you, or a person he has known for ages." Before we can say anything else we are told to get ready to leave as we're going to a area reserved for us.

Authors note:

Hey guys,
I'm so sorry for being inactive I promise
I'll get another chapter out soon.
The reason I'm
taking so long is that I ages
ago broke my old phone and I'm on my
backup but it has like no storage.
I hope to become active again and get
some inspiration to actually write,
Once again I'm truly sorry.

Yours sincerely ~ randomstoryzgirl/author

P.S. Happy pride month 🏳️‍🌈