Midsummers

10am:
We were helping Pope in his Dads shop.
It was a normal day, all except that midsummers was this evening.
"Pope pass me those" he pushed over some water, letting me have a bottle.
"So Mr Heyward, what's it like having the best shop on this side of the island" I chuckle a little, I liked Popes Dad.
He was kind, funny and everything I wanted my Dad to be.

"Only on this side?" He narrowed his eyes playfully and I huff.
"Well, I am Kook now didn't you hear?" I shrug my shoulders laughing.
"You ain't no Kook" he ruffled my hair with his hand as he walked past.
"Yeah she isn't" Kie stared at JJ with a glare, he was being quiet.
I managed to cover up my bruises on my neck, a lot of makeup.
I also wore a tertial neck top.

Was I over heating and uncomfortable. Yes.
But I'd rather that then anyone try get involved or judge me- pity me.
"What the hell is he doing here?" I notice Shoupe walk in with a grumpy expression.
"Pope your under arrest for damaging property, you have the right-" the asshole was instantly cut off by our pleads.
"You can't just arrest him!" I shout, following them out.

"Oh my god-" Kie was in a state of disbelief, Pope?
Our Pope being arrested. It was unbelievable.
"I did it! Not him" JJ pushed past us all, we all stare at him.
Shoupe stood there with questioning eyes.
"I was mad because they beat him up so I sank their boat, I pulled the plug- just me" why was he admitting this?
He don't pull the plug.

"I can't let you go down for something I did, you got to much to loose- me this would've happened anyway so why not now?" He stared at the ground slightly.
He was so loyal. He was a pouge. That's what we do.
"He do it?" Shoupe looked towards the boy in handcuffs, Pope nodded a little.
"Aright then" he uncuffed Pope putting them on JJ.

"I'll get you out-" I stare at JJ who just titled his head towards me.
"We'll wait outside for you!" JJ gets pushed into the police car.
"No wait! What evidence do you have? I was there! I did it! I throw it into the lake" I stop Shoupe getting in the car.
JJ stares at me through the window, his eyes wide.
He shook his head telling me to shut my mouth.

"It doesn't matter what evidence we have- we know it was him now get out my way" he stood tall and it reminded me of my father.
How proud he was, how he never backed down.
"Or what?" I stood up taller to stepping forward slightly.
"Move or be moved" he stared directly at me, he was bluffing.
"I want to know how- you know it was him and not me?" I cross my arms over my chest.

"We have video evidence, no girl was in it" he pushed me to the side making me stumble on my feet.
"Hey man!" I heard JJ call from the car as I bump into Kie, my back hitting her front as she tried to stable me.
"What the hell!" Pope shouted but Shoupe just got in the car driving off.
"Lexi where are you going?!" Kie noticed me walking away.

"The station!"
I walk all the way there, it took 15-20 minutes on foot from where the shop was.
I walk in going to the desk.
"How much is JJ Maybank's bail?" That's when I feel a hand grasp my shoulder.
I turn seeing Luke.
J's Dad.
My skin instantly crawls, I didn't really know anything about him but something was off.

"I'm not having some Kook pay for my son of a bitch son! We don't need your charity" he pushed past me talking to the officer.
I walk out waiting outside, Kie and Pope were waiting for me.
"We will wait with you" and so we did.
We waited for hours.
"I have to go- my mum will kill me if I'm late" Kie frowned, she had to go to midsummers.

"Wait- look he's there!" JJ walked out with his Dad.
"JJ!" We all run up to him, hugging the boy.
He was almost stiff, cold.
"Lexi you want me to pick you up at 5:30?" That's when Rafe walks up the station steps.
What the hell was he doing here.
"What's he taking about?" Pope questions looking at me.