Chapter Twelve: The First Heretic And His Daughter

"And that's where I meet you guys." Shylo shudders with her story coming to a halt. So what Mr. James had said about his witch genes was true. Interesting. "Now you know everything." She heaves, her bosom rising and dropping as if deciding whether she's nervous or not. Suddenly Shylo's head rose, sniffing the air with a disgusted look resting on her face. "He's been here." she shudders. "I can smell his cheap cologne lingering all of this wretched town." she sighs letting herself slip between the here and now with us, and the there and then with him. She seems to be contemplating telling us something. Good thing I have the time to wait. I wait watching as she takes repeated deep breaths in and out. Calming herself I assume. "He's changed. I don't know what you have heard about him. But he's most definitely not the man you've heard about, I promise you that." She shrugs her shoulders as if she said nothing, I take a second and let this information sink in. Even she herself speaking of the man she ran away from, still knows or rather hoped he had changed. I suppose I should hope so too. If he had changed, then I didn't have to be broken forever. If he had a kid, does that mean I can, or did he only have one because he's not the one carrying it? I don't know what I want to know first. But I'm ready. Taking a deep breath I lead our first step into town. Shylo and Nat are my biggest threat to turning my humanity back on right now, I can't do anything about Shylo, but Nat maybe if I could convince her to turn it off with me, maybe I might get somewhere. The question is how? Maybe if she lost control, maybe I could reach out to that side of her. But the problem with that is I need something serious to happen. Something very very serious. "Nat can we talk?" I ask. We step aside from prying ears, or so I hoped. "I don't think I want you here, You're making me want to turn my humanity back on and that's the last thing i want right now sister." I saw the look of shock register over her face first, then the tears that threatened to fall. Maybe this wasn't the right way to go about it. Fuck. what have I done? "Really Kate?!? How could you say that? Isn't there some part of you that wants to love, feel anything other than numb nothingness?" fuck. I messed up. Falling to my knees sobbing, I feel the heaviness of everything I've been through lately taking its toll on me, my switch was flipping back. I can't have that. Biting my tears back I stand up and look at my sister before me, "Yes I want to feel numb nothingness, because it's better than what i feel with it on. I can't handle it. Sometimes I just feel like running into something wooden. Oops. accidents happen. So believe me when I say that I'm turning it off again right now. And I don't want you to fix me this time. You hear me?" I thunder in response letting the switch revert to it's comfortable place of dull emptiness. She's crying, did I unintentionally make her slip? I wonder. "Don't you want to join me and take control over your weak self? If you let go and let your inner darkness take hold, you could be so much more, you could sit around and let the world own you, or you could sit with me and watch the world burn like a Queen." I watch her closely as she fights herself from the inside out, I let my breath take itself from my chest, when I see her pupils expand and go black, then normal, the finally resting blank. "You're right. This is nice. I don't have to worry about you being self absorbed, and uncaring about yourself. I like it. So sister let's watch the world burn. But first I want answers." It worked, I almost don't believe it myself. Until she siphons herself no falters, it only glows black. I start to feel a little bad but I push it down, I'm fine. My sister is with me. This can either end good or it will go up in flames, I'm genuinely hoping for the latter.