Chapter Twenty Six: Choosing

Kate's point of view

I arrive back at the camp with Aiden, Shylo, and he who must not be named. Lewis looks around and settles near the fire. I sneak away from the group to check on Natalie. When I get to the tent I only hear one heartbeat. Assuming it's not Nat I look for her. I wander around for a while before I give up and go back to the tent to see who's in it. I find Nat laying down. That's odd. I only hear one heartbeat. Perhaps her and the baby are in sync. I lay down next to her and get some rest. When I wake up I wake Nat up by accident. And we get breakfast.I take her to meet Lewis. He says He can teach her control so her dark side doesn't come out to play as often. I think that's for the best. I had filled him in on me and Natalie on the way back to camp.

One month time skip

It's been a month and Lewis has taught me and Natalie quite a few tricks, mostly spells but he also showed us that we can siphon fire and plenty of other things. He showed us a healing spell today. I find that it's quite a hand spell early on. I am beginning to get worried about Nat, her stomach isn't growing, she hasn't said anything of the baby or telling George, actually she seems happier. Perhaps I'm just paranoid. I just feel like there's something she isn't telling me. Later that night we are all gathered around the fire talking when a younger wolf Roscoe asks Nat how the baby's doing, are those tears? She looks as if she's about to cry. Before I can say anything she takes off for the tent using vamp speed. I take off after her knowing something is up. "Natalie" I call. "Go away." she says through her sobs. "Not until you tell me what's wrong." She begins crying even harder at this. "I did something bad Kate, very very bad." she whispers. "Natty what did you do?" I ask, starting to get worried. "Haven't you wondered why I'm not fat, I'm not as hungry. I'm not as emotional." she asks. No. I think to myself. She can't be employing what I think she is. "Nat what do you mean sissy?" I ask hoping I'm so very wrong. "Th- the baby is gone." she hiccups out through her tears. NO. "Natalie what did you do?" I drop to my knees. "Did you know" she whispers "The wolves have their own stash of Aconite?" she asks. "Natalie, tell me you didn't." I pleaded with her. "I'm sorry Kate. I couldn't do it. I was just so tired." I begin to sob so loud my throat hurts. This baby was supposed to make a difference, this baby was supposed to be the thing that holds the remainder of this family together. I cry so loud I think I'm going to lose my voice. It's when Aiden shows up in the tent that I stop, turning to him I collapse the rest of the way down into his arms. Not needing to know what happened he holds me tight. Nat leaves being ok already. Me on the other hand it's all so new to me that the baby is gone. I can't cope. So I just sat there. Not coping, crying in Aiden's arms, letting this world slip away until I fall asleep like this.

*** I know this chapter is short too but I felt it was the perfect way to end it***