Chapter 4: Strange Behavior

"Shadow? Shouldn't you be leaving with them..." I sat up from the couch. Shadow was leaning against a wall in the dark so I was unable to read his face. I could tell he seemed upset though.

"..."

"Shadow?" I was starting to question if he was even conscious. He hadn't moved or spoken since the gang left.

"This is my fault..." I heard Shadow whisper. If the living room wasn't so small I wouldn't of heard him, I was quite shocked that Shadow felt guilty? He seemed to just be an emotionless emo hedgehog. Maybe I was wrong...

"It's my fault. I'm the one who wanted to get my powers." I tried giving Shadow a reassuring grin. It didn't work.

"..."

"Shadow, say something."

"..."

"Please..?"

"..."

"Fine. I'm going to bed." I began to walk up the stairs when I felt a familiar tug on my wrist. Shadow.

"No." Shadow demanded.

"What do you mean 'no'? I don't understand you. You don't want to talk to me, but then you don't want me to leave!" I tried tugging from his grasp but failed.

"..."

"Shadow, please just let me go to bed." I looked up at Shadow and he stared at the floor. Slowly, his eyes shifted their focus on me. I could see tears in his eyes but they weren't dropping just yet. Why was he so upset? I barely know him and he always acted like he couldn't give two shits about me!

Shadow said nothing. Instead, he let go of my wrists. I looked up at him for a few seconds in confusion. The two of us stared at each other before I sighed and walked into a bedroom. I didn't even know who's it was but I didn't care. I was too tired and I didn't want to run into Shadow.

—————

When I woke up I walked down the stairs and saw the gang there. Everyone except Shadow. When I went towards the living room I realized he had taken my sleeping spot on the couch. Did he stay the night? Why..? I shrugged away the thoughts and walked back towards everyone.

"Y/N! You're awake! How are you feeling?" Amy scrambled over to me and hugged me.

"Much better..." I paused. "I'd like to try an activate my powers again." Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me with confusion.

"Are you sure? Look what happened last time..." Sonic mumbled the last part.

"Yes. I'll be more careful this time."

"Yeah, and you'll have us to protect ya!" Sonic winked. We all chuckled and resumed what we were doing. Although I have only known everyone for a few days I have already put my trust in them. They were heroes after all...when I took my first bite into my cereal I noticed Shadow walked in and rubbed his eyes. He looked really exhausted. Was he not sleeping?

"Hey Shads!" Sonic greeted the hedgehog.

"Faker..." Shadow mumbled before taking a seat as FAR away from possible as me. Was he angry at me? The fuck did I do? The two of exchanger looks throughout the whole breakfast, rather glares. Yep, he was definitely pissed about something.

Once everyone finished eating we all decided to go outside. The team said they were going to take me to the same training area Shadow took me to help discover my powers. I hesitated to agree but I felt more comfortable knowing that everyone else would be there to protect me.

"So guys...why exactly do you need me?" I calmly asked the group as we were preparing the field.

"What do you mean?" Knuckled folded his arms.

"You said you brought me here into this world because you needed me...what for?" The group seemed to be at a loss for words. Even Shadow. I rolled my eyes not expecting an answer.

"Well we aren't sure exactly...the chaos emerald never told us but maybe you help us with Egghead or something..." Sonic scratched his head.

"Or worse..." Tails shivered.

"Don't worry, buddy. I'm sure if something worse than Eggman comes we'll be able to stop it. That's why Y/N is here after all..." Sonic patted Tails on the back. This seemed to calm his down, but I only grew more anxious. Now, the pressure was on me to succeed. Would their world be destroyed by my failure? If I don't get my powers they'll all be so disappointed...I just wanna go home.

"Tone it down, faker. You're scaring her." That's the first time Shadow had spoken all day. He was very silent and hung back besides the group. We all knew he was rude but even this was strange behavior for him. So everyone was slightly shocked to hear Shadow speak and the cause only to be standing up for me. I couldn't help but blush a little.

"Sorry, Y/N! No pressure!" Sonic nervously chuckled. Yeah, right. The gang looked away from me and continued to occupy themselves. I rolled my eyes and watched them do so.

"Anyways...let's get started." Amy cheered. The rest of the group perked up from this, all except Shadow of course. Why was he like this anyway?

"Okay...you're not going to fight me, right?" I backed away from the group. Shadow had a smug grin on his face, seeming to be reminiscing from the memories of yesterday.

"What? Where'd you get that from? We're just going to help with your fighting skills." Amy answered in confusion.

"Oh...okay." I sighed in relief. I walked back over towards the group and grabbed a weapon. My top choice, a gun. I grinned when I loaded it and pointed it at the targets. I shot all of them in a bullseye and everyone's jaws were practically on the floor. I knew Shadow was surprised but he was definitely hiding it.

"Hmph." Was the only thing I got from Shadow. I rolled my eyes as I watched everyone rush over to me in amazement.

"Woah, kid! You got skill!" Knuckles chuckled.

"Hun, that was amazing..." Rogue looked over at Shadow. He was leaning against a tree with his arms crossed. He seemed to be lost in thought but when he noticed Rogue's staring he shot her a glare and a grunt, making her look away.

"Thanks! I used to shoot a lot at home." Home...

"May I ask why?" Tails questioned. There was a dark meaning to that...one I did NOT want to share. Shadow got up from the tree and walked over to us, even he seemed to be curious.

"Yeah, how'd you get so good? You could work with G.U.N with that skill." Rogue chimed in.

"Stop pestering her about it. Besides, she's a human. G.U.N wouldn't take her." Shadow sneakily stood behind the group. We all turned around in surprise.

"True...anyway, care to explain..?" Rogue looked at me intently. Jeez, her stare was scary.

"Um...just for self defense..." I was lying. I wasn't sure if they could tell or not but they backed off.

"Oh, okay. You scared us for a second there! Let's get back to training." Amy patted my shoulders. The others were quick to get back to work, except one, Shadow. He walked over to me and hovered, creepily. Glaring down at me with his arms folded, he let out another huff.

"You're a terrible liar."