Chapter 10: Denial

"Y/N! You made it back safely!" Amy ran up and hugged me. I hugged back, trying to hide the anger boiling inside of me.

"Did you get your powers?" Rogue asked.

"No..." I looked down at the floor trying to avoid their disappointed faces. I suddenly felt a whoosh from the door behind me but ignored it, not wanting to look up.

"Hey Shadow! Where were you?" Tails greeted the hedgehog. I looked up and noticed Shadow was the one who entered behind me. He still looked pretty pissed off. I wasn't sure why, maybe because of yesterday. If he's still holding a grudge than so am I. I looked away from him and just stared off into space, ignoring his presence.

"I had to do something..." Shadow mumbled. Could he have been the figure watching me? No way. He was already pissed off at me. Why would he watch over me?

"Okay. So Y/N, you didn't manage to get any of your abilities?" Tails looked back towards me.

"No." I simply replied. I already felt shitty as is! Can you stop talking about it?

"It'll happen eventually, hun." Rogue reassured me.

"Hopefully soon." Knuckles muttered.

"You're just as impatient as that faker. Besides, she defeated them anyway." I was bewildered Shadow had stuck up for me. So was everyone else. This man has some serious bipolar issues...

"I guess you're right." Knuckles nodded in approval. I glanced at Shadow who was already looking at me. He looked away when I caught him but I wasn't sure why.

"Sorry about doing that, Y/N. We just wanted to test your powers." Sonic placed a hand on my shoulder. I cringed at the touch.

"Oh. It's fine..." No, it wasn't. I hated being put on the spot like this. I just wanted to leave, I felt so uncomfortable.

"Is it okay if I go get some fresh air for a while?" I looked back for the groups approval.

"You sure you want to walk around with Eggface's bots here?" Sonic looked at me with furrowed brows.

"I'll just be careful." I completely forgot about the injury to my arm. I noticed Shadow had been staring at it for quite some time now. I looked down at it and noticed blood was seeping through my cloth. I started to realize how bad the cut actually was and that was when I realized how much pain I was in.

"Miss Y/N, that cut looks pretty bad. May I take a look?" Cream walked over to me. I hesitantly agreed and sat down on a chair she pushed over for me. She slowly took off my the cloth and blood was dripping everywhere. Sonic had to rush to get a med-kit for my arm. The cut was a huge gash and it looked pretty deep. Cream said I'd probably need stitches. Amy even had to look away because it was too 'gory'.

"Maybe we should bring her to a hospital...I'm not sure how to do stitches." Cream suggested.

"You seriously can't apply stitches?" Shadow snickered. Cream shook her head and Shadow's arms dropped to his side.

"Fine. I'll do it." Shadow pushed Cream over and grabbed the scissors from her. Shadow sat down next to me and started fidgeting with my arm. He didn't even warn me when he started! I gasped in pain and hissed at the hedgehog.

"Hold still." Shadow said plainly. No shit. I watched as Shadow threaded the stitches through my arm and he was actually pretty good at it. Eventually, it wasn't even painful and I noticed Shadow was actually being very gentle with my arm.

"Hey Shads, where'd ya learn to do this?" Sonic watched Shadow thread with curiosity.

"G.U.N makes us do a lesson on physical injuries." Shadow shifted his focus back towards my arm. He seemed very into what he was going. People would call his name and he wouldn't even answer. His tongue was sticking out at how focused he was and I couldn't help but find it a little cute.

20 minutes later, Doctor Grumpster finished. That's a new nickname, better use it on him. He wrapped a bandage around my arm, remaining silent and focused the whole time. He was even gentle with the bandage and I was actually very grateful for this.

"Thanks, Doctor Grumps!" I chuckled as I sat up from the chair. Shadow rolled his eyes at this.

"Creative." Shadow smirked, slightly. I giggled and faced the rest of the group.

"So is it okay if I go on my walk now?" Everyone remained silent. They all seemed surprised by my question, or was it something else..?

"Yeah, um, sure...hun. Have fun and be careful." Rogue pushed me outside. That was strange. Why was she acting so weird? Why was everyone acting so weird?! I started walking towards the beach and continued to think about my old life and my new one. Perhaps this is better...

Shadow POV:

"Shadow." The bat stated.

"What?" I leaned against the wall of the kitchen.

"We didn't learn that at G.U.N." Damn. I was really hoping she wouldn't say that out loud. How was I going to explain this? I didn't want to tell them about why I decided to learn it last night...fuck.

"Hmph." I glared back at her.

"Do you guys think Y/N will be alright?" Tails changed the subject. Thank God. But would she be alright? I felt pretty terrible about what I said to her yesterday. I knew she probably already saw me as a heartless monster but now I was just proving her point. Maybe it's for the better.

"She'll be fine. She knows how to fight." Amy replied. Damn straight. I was actually surprised when I was watching her. She looked so experienced even though she had none. Well, unless she trained back on Earth. I wonder what her life was like there. I really need to stop thinking about that damn human...

"Anyways...Shadow, how'd you learn to do that?" Sonic looked back at me. I was holding back at growl.

"None of your business." I snarled.

"Hm, would your cause have to do with a certain someone...perhaps a human?" Rogue smirked. Damn. I fucking hate her. But she's right. I just didn't want to be helpless anymore. I barely even knew what a ice pack was a few nights ago. I really wanted to help Y/N, I just don't understand why.

"What? No. Shut up you damn bat." I shooed her away. She only giggled at my response.

"Oh, Shadzy! I think someone finally learned what concern is!" The rest of the group giggled at me. Did they really think I was emotionless? Of course I can be concerned. What are they even talking about?

"What are you on about, bat?"

"I think someone has a little crush~" my cheeks reddened. What the hell is she implying? I would never like a human!

"I am the ultimate life form. How dare you think I would like a human." I hissed, even Sonic was laughing. What the fuck is so funny?

"Aww, Shadow this is adorable." Amy giggled. Not her too, ugh.

"I don't like her! I already told you she's tolerable at most!" I shifted into a defensive stance.

"That's the nicest thing you've said about anyone." Rogue grinned. I fucking hate you.

"Tsch, not true."

"Besides, you're the one who keeps making excuses to spend time with her." Will this bat ever shut up? My cheeks were so hot I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to leave, now.

"I'm going home." I growled.

"Another excuse to see your girlfriend!" Rogue chirped, I tried my best to ignore her comment but I couldn't. Was I maybe feeling 'love' this whole time? I thought I hated her...

"CHAOS CONTROL!"