Chapter 43: Guess Whos Back

It was the night Shadow had said he and I were going on our date.

I was currently having a meltdown in 'my' bedroom.

"Y/N, Shadow doesn't care what you wear." Rouge attempted to reassure me for the fifth time, no use of course. I had no idea where we were going and with that, I didn't know how to dress.

"I care what I wear Rouge!" I snapped back, "And that's a lie!"

She simply rolled her eyes at me and brought her attention back to the pile of clothes on my bed. The loads of clothes on my bed.

We had probably been at this for a few hours.

"Why don't we go out before your date? Get your mind off it?" Rouge placed a firm hand on my shoulder for reassurance. We had about four hours before I needed to be back but I still felt uneasy with the idea.

"I don't know...what if something bad happens?"

"Well, then I'll be there to protect you!" She sneered, chuckling afterwards. I simply huffed at her self confidence and continued staring at the clothes, her expression changed.

"Alright, hun. We're going. Whether you like it or not."

""Wait, Rouge! What about—"

"Oh! Maybe Knuxy will wanna come too!"

~

My current predicament was one I'd rather not be in. There were two ferocious beasts fighting over petty things as we walked around town, not noticing me whatsoever.

"And your shoes! Do you really need to wear high heels?! Do you know how many times I've had to carry you because 'your feet hurt'?!" The red beast fumed. I walked behind the two, trying my best to just let them at each other. I didn't want to get involved.

At least it was entertaining.

"At least I try to look presentable! You never do anything to change up your style! You just walk around naked all the time!" The feminine beast yelled back. Knuckles didn't seem to take that comment very well as he looked about ready to punch someone within his vicinity.

I change my mind, this certainly helped with distractions.

"I don't need clothes, you dumb bat! Maybe you should focus on your combat skills instead of looks and you wouldn't need my help so much!" Knuckle's smirked at the end of this, Rouge looking more pissed than I've ever seen.

My mouth was agape, absolutely flabbergasted by this dispute. This was normal for them.

"Don't go lecturing me, mister! Do you know how many times your precious master emerald has been stolen by Eggman? Do you remember how many times I've been the one to get it back!"

I was contemplating stepping in at this point because they're faces were mere inches apart from one another and their teeth were both grit, one of them was going to punch the other sooner or later...

But fortunately someone else did it for me.

"Lovers quarrel?" The three of us looked up and noticed a teal-striped hedgehog looking down at us, strikingly familiar to Shadow. His eyes were emerald green and he had white chest fur.

"Mephiles! What? How?!" I assumed this to be a relative of Shadow's since these two seemed to know him, but Rouge and Knuckles faces didn't seem too happy to see him.

And his eyes were directly on me.

"You fools, you left the capsule behind and expecting nothing? I made and exchange with a puny human who let me free and now you shall suffer." Mephiles chuckled darkly as the two got into defensive position, I took a step backwards in shock, the two of us having a staring contest before his figure dissolved into the floor and he disappeared entirely.

"Why didn't he attack us?" Rouge asked Knuckles in a surprisingly calming manner.

"He's up to something. We need to find the others." They both nodded and unison and that's when they finally looked back at me. I rolled my eyes and nodded with them. We nearly ran back to the Sonic's shack.

~

"So he just said he planned for revenge and dissolved into the ground? Nothing else?" Sonic quirked a brow. The group was all gathered around, including Shadow. I was especially aware of that part. I took extreme notice that this probably cancelled our date which was saddening but at least I didn't have to stress anymore.

"Yeah, he barely said anything. He's always been a demon full of words, it was really weird." Rouge muttered. Tails seemed to be writing a lot of this information down, probably to research as to how he was freed.

And how to put him back.

"Do we get Silver and Blaze for this?" Amy chipped in. Shadow seemed to stiffen at that, probably unsure on how to feel. I'd probably feel pretty awkward working with my future son too.

"We have no way to, even if we could. If the situation is dire they will come back." Tails responded, putting his pencil down. Amy sighed and nodded her head, she probably missed her friends.

"How can we protect ourself against Mephiles? What if he attacks us while we are sleeping? What if he hurts Miss Y/N?!" Cream panicked. I smiled at her worries for my safety but everyone else seemed to be on edge with that idea.

"That won't happen. I won't allow it." Shadow spoke harshly. His eyes filled with determination. Rouge nodded her head in understanding at that. I wasn't entirely sure if Mephiles and Shadow had a backstory or not but I'd assume so.

"Alright, everyone. Tails and I are going to figure out a way to get Mephiles back where he belongs. For now, just stay clear of his path and call us if you see him." Sonic confirmed the end of the meeting. The others and I agreed in our own ways and took off.

I went to my bedroom and let out a heavy sigh. A part of me was angry at this stupid Mephiles for ruining the date but it's not like I had anything prepared anywa—

"Hey."

I jumped when a gruff voice from behind me spoke.

"Hey, Mr. Emo." I smirked.

"Don't call me that." He groaned, then stopped when he noticed all the clothes on my bed. My cheeks reddened. "What's with all of the outfits?"

"I was just organizing my room!" I chirped trying to seem as innocent as possible to save myself from embarrassment. I was definitely the only one stressing this much over the date.

"We both know you would never do that." Shadow furrowed his brows, trying to catch me in a lie. I cursed him out internally.

"What's the deal with this Mephiles guy?"

There was a pregnant silence before Shadow decided to speak, "I can explain on our date..."

It sounded more as, if the offer still stands.

"Same time?" My cheeks reddened even more.

"Yes." Shadow pulled out his chaos emerald but paused before he was about to teleport, "You look beautiful in anything, Y/N."

He left and I was there just as nervous again.