Chapter 7: In the Deep End

I looked at the two chao's, observing there every move. Knuckles and Rouge had mentioned they were some sort of psychics and I noticed they were also able to detect relationships with one another.

The two chao's just stared at each other, for a long time. Finally, minutes later, after they stopped staring they slowly walked towards one another. I watched in awe, until I heard a twig snap. The other chao's noticed too. I flung my head around and saw Shadow standing there, fuming. The chaos backed away from each other and Luna jumped into my arms, meanwhile Shadow's chao just watched Luna.

"When'd you get here?" I sat up from the grass I was laying on.

"..."

Shadow ignored my question completely. Instead, he seemed to be taking in the scenery and everything happening.

"Is that your chao?" Shadow asked intently.

"I think so...?" I looked down at Luna and then back at Shadow. She cuddled into me, and I had my mind set. This was my chao.

"What's that thing doing with my chao?" Shadow growled. What the fuck? His own chao grabbed Luna and backed away from the two of us.

"Listen, man. It was your chao that came over to me. Not the other way around." I glared at Shadow, but his eyes seemed to fixed on something else. I turned to see what he was staring at and I saw Luna and his chao hand in hand, trembling. Were they really that scared of Shadow?

"Heh, I think you scared them." I chuckled, looking back at the edgelord.

"What makes you think that?" Is this man really that stupid?

"Do you not see how scared they are? They were fine before you got here." Shadow raised a brow at this.

"They weren't scared around you?"

"No? Why would they be..?" I folded my arms.

"Because you usually have to earn their trust....interesting." He mumbled the last part. I turned back around and I saw our chao's leaving hand in hand. I was curious how they were so close. If they were supposed to resemble our soul's relationships then why are Shadow and I buddy and buddy? Maybe my hypothesis is wrong...

"Tsch, they're gone. Let's go." Shadow pulled me off the ground.

"Seriously, you just popped out of no where. Where'd you go this morning?"

"You should be asking why I'm still here. I don't normally hang around their posse for this long." Shadow huffed. I smirked playfully at his confession.

"Aww, you missed me!" I giggled at the hedgehog. He was beyond perplexed at my statement.

"What? Like hell I'd miss you. You're just like that faker." Shadow started walking, which I took as a sign to follow along with him.

"Language!" I mimicked. He groaned in response.

"Who's this 'faker'?" I took the moment of silence as an opportunity to ask.

"Your blue hero." Shadow muttered.

"What's your beef with him? He seems nice." I hadn't given Sonic much thought but he seemed like a pretty nice dude.

"His ego. He thinks he's better than everyone else." I couldn't deny that. Back at training, I did take notice in how competitive and cocky Sonic was but I just thought he was messing around.

"I think it was just a friendly competition, Shadow." I answered, assuming he was referring to training.

"Once you hang around him more, you'll understand what I mean." I didn't put much thought into the topic we were on, rather how much Shadow was actually talking. It's the most i've ever seen him talk, I took this chance to keep the conversation going so we can maybe become friends.

"I mean he does seem very energetic. I did kinda find it annoying." That wasn't exactly a lie, but at the same time I pretty much found everything and everyone annoying. It's just a part of my personality.

"Annoying is putting it lightly." Shadow...chuckled?! A smile formed on my face as well, and I let out a small giggle at his comment.

"So why were our chao like that?" I decided to change the topic, I wasn't exactly fond of badmouthing others and I didn't want someone to catch us.

"I don't know. Probably just a coincidence..." Shadow looked down at the ground. I could tell he felt uncomfortable so I decided not to push, even if he knew the answer.

As soon as we were about to leave the forest, Shadow and I noticed the group arguing. Shadow put me to a hault.

"They might not want you interrupting. Let me go." I nodded my head in agreement and watched Shadow exit the forest. I decided I wanted to hear what they were talking about and hid behind the nearest bush I could find close to them.

"So when do we send her on her first mission?" Knuckles questioned. It had to be about me. No one else would be on their first mission.

"We could do it tomorrow." Sonic gestured.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to just throw her into the deep end?" Rogue asked. Were they really just going to send me off to fend for myself? What kind of training is this! Then, I noticed Shadow coughed to get the attention of the group. They stopped talking and stared at him.

"Hey Shads! When'd you get here?" Sonic waved at the angry hedgehog.

"What are you guys discussing?" Shadow questioned intently.

"We think we should send Y/N on a mission tomorrow." Amy sighed. What the fuck?! Did they even care about my safety? I can't fight!

"That's a terrible idea." Shadow scoffed.

"Shadow, it might help activate her powers." Knuckles answered in a aggravated tone.

"It could also get her killed. She's barely trained."

"Putting her in danger may activate her powers." Tails fiddled with his fingers.

"Are you guys crazy? She doesn't stand a chance against those bots! She's a human." Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence.

"No need to worry, Shads! We'll give her a communicator if anything happens to her." Sonic chuckled, Shadow growled at him. Worry? Shadow? I almost burst into laughter.

"I'm not worried! She's just the only one out of you fools I tolerate..." Shadow grumbled. Really? He definitely didn't act like it.

"Sure, hun. We need to do this, though." Rougue smirked.

"Then I'm going with her."

"What? Why? She can just call us." Sonic shifted.

"Actually, that may be a good idea. Just in case, we can't get to her in time." Tails suggested to the group. They all seemed to nod in unison. I just observed, in total shock. They're going to stick me with the most terrifying one! I'm more scared of him then whatever I'll be facing. Hell, he wouldn't even save me! I was doomed. I leaped out of the bush and went back to the original spot Shadow left me at.

A few minutes later, Cream walked into the forest and I had to look like I was doing something. I walked over to a bush and began to eat berries. Cream rushed over to me, panicking.

"Oh no! Y/N! Please tell me you didn't eat those!" Cream stumbled with her words.

"I did. Why?" I placed my hands on my hips.

"We better get back to Tails! It's only a matter of time till those berries work their magic." Cream pulled me back into their group. What the fuck is she on about?