Chapter 32: Truth is Out

I didn't answer Shadow. It's been a few hours since he said that and it's been an uncomfortable silence since. The two of us are trying to see if any of the others are free from Eggman's grasp, but so far we've had no success.

Shadow decided that it would be best to camp outside of Eggman's base for now. So we can see if anything is going on without getting caught.

This was the only thing he's said to me.

I'm not sure if my lack of faith in him is what pissed him off, or the fact that I thought he was betraying me made him mad....but either way, he was unresponsive to me.

As Shadow peaked over from tree to glance at Eggman's base a portal appeared from behind us. We quickly turned our backs and was met with none other than Silver and his friend Blaze that I had heard about.

"Great. What happened this time?" Shadow sneered.

"You both get captured when you try to infiltrate Eggman's base. He takes over the world and destroys us all." Silver explained. I was beyond shocked at how casually he sounded, meanwhile Shadow was baffled.

"Tsch, I'm the Ultimate Lifeform. I would not allow such a thing."

"Well, the 'Ultimate Lifeform' did." Silver sighed. Blaze placed her hand on his shoulder and looked over at me.

"I don't believe we've formally met, I'm Blaze the Cat." She took her hand out for me to shake, which I hesitantly did so.

"Y/N...so what brings you guys here?" I asked, completely ignoring the snorts from Shadow.

"Yeah. What brings you here son?" Silver awkwardly looked down at the ground as he reminisced on what happened when he last appeared.

"Can we talk about that later? We have more important things to discuss." Silver mumbled.

"Fine. But my questions will not go unanswered."

"Okay. Now, Blaze and I already know how to fix this. First, Y/N is going to go inside the base and—"

"No." Shadow clenched his fists, earning brow ridges from the three of us.

"What do you mean no?" I asked, not liking being told what to do.

"If he is correct, and Eggman does succeed for once, I'm not allowing you to go in there." Shadow spoke harshly and glared at the pair.

"Why not? I'm perfectly capable of doing so!" I defended myself.

"You just barely got powers. Excuse me, for not trusting you."

Ah, I know what this is truly about now.

"I think she can handle herself,
Shadow—" Blaze was rudely interrupted again by Mr. Emo.

"No. She can't. That's final and she's not being a part of this." Does he really expect me to sit back and watch?

"Listen, Shadow. My friends are being held hostage up there, and if i'm supposedly called here for helping them, then you're not going to stop me." At this point, Shadow and I were shooting daggers at each other. He gave me his nastiest glare and I growled in return. Silver and Blaze watched the showdown and facepalmed.

"Guys, we need to focus on what the main issue is—"

"The main issue is her. If you think you're sending her in there, then you're going to have to get past me first." With this, Shadow took out his chaos emerald and got in a battle stance. I was appalled he was actually this stubborn.

"Seriously Shadow?! It's not your choice! I want to go in there and help! I know I can! Why can't you just let me?!" I yelled, my tone rising.

"BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANOTHER PERSON I LOVE." Shadow panted. Silver, Blaze, and I all snapped our necks towards the frightened hedgehog before us, in pure disbelief...

Well, I was.

"Nothing's going to happen to me, Shadow! I'll make sure of it! I have my powers to help me!" I cleared my throat, contemplating whether or not to mention the 'love' part.

"Don't say things you can't promise..." Shadow sighed, "If she goes I go."

"Well, if you actually listened a little longer you'd understand that was my intention anyway." Silver chuckled. Shadow's eyes widened as he realized all he had said was now pointless.

"Great, so what's this plan of yours?" I smirked.

"Okay, so..."

~

Shadow and I were in a very awkward situation again. Except this time, the tension was ten times thicker than before.

It's not that I didn't feel the same, it's just that I feel weird saying it out of the blue. But I know we'll have to talk after this is over.

Whether he meant it platonically or not.

That was actually the main question racing in my head as we trudged along the borders of the base. I know for a fact, Shadow doesn't throw a strong word like that around and it had meaning...

But what did he mean?

"If you're still dwelling on what I said earlier I meant it." Shadow spoke up, nearly giving me a heart attack.

Did we really have to do this now?

"I just don't know what you meant by it." I cleared my throat, in utter disbelief he was now comfortable talking about his feelings.

"Hmph. You'll find out when the mission is over." Shadow smirked. I nervously smiled in return as I wasn't sure whether or not dread that moment. I was just thankful Silver and Blaze weren't here to hear all of this.

"We're here. Stay back." Shadow shoved me behind him as we reached the back entrance. He chaos speared through the door and we walked inside cautiously.

"Are you sure Silver and Blaze took out the cameras?" I trembled slightly, Shadow easily took notice of this.

"Yes. The cameras have no flashing red light. He cannot see us." I simply nodded but still felt uneasy. Shadow looked at me once more before taking my hand in his and squeezing it reassuringly.

I squeezed back.

"Alright, when we get there remember to stay close to me, okay. Do not go out of my sight." Shadow sternly motioned at me, treating me as some loose cannon.

"I can handle myself." I huffed.

"You don't need to."