Chapter 47: One Step Further

Sonic POV:

"Damn! Where the hell are those chaos emeralds?!" Shadow grunted. We had been searching for the chaos emeralds for hours now and it was the next day. I think Mephiles might've beaten us.

"Tails would really be helpful right now..." I scratched my head. Tails always had gadgets to find the chaos emeralds or lead us to them. It's too bad they were all under Mephiles influence.

I frowned thinking of Mephiles.

"He's useless right now. We need to focus on getting Y/N back!" Shadow continued teleporting around the forest in hopes of finding a chaos emerald. He got more angry each time he found nothing.

"Is there a way we can contact Silver and Blaze? Maybe they can help us."

"Why do you always insist on getting help from other people?! They could be completely useless like Tails!" Shadow paused his teleporting to bite a remark at me. I was starting to dislike his tone when speaking of Tails.

"Or they could be helpful. You don't have to do everything on your own, y'know." I sighed, annoyed and tired of this. We weren't getting anywhere and we weren't going to find Y/N in the woods.

"Reliance is a weakness, hedgehog." He retorted, "I'm going to G.U.N to get information on Mephiles."

I couldn't say anything else as Shadow had already ran off. But I figured he wouldn't tell me this if he didn't want me to follow, so I joined him. He definitely was in no mood to talk so our journey consisted of silence.

I thought back to my friends, Tails, Y/N. Everyone was in danger and Mephiles was doing all of this so easily.

I really can't wait to get payback for what Mephiles has done.

~

Y/N POV:

"How did you manage to get all of the chaos emeralds so quickly?!" I couldn't help but slightly admire his power. I don't think Sonic or Shadow could've done that.

"I already knew their locations unlike those idiotic hedgehogs." He spoke with pride, gathering them together.

"B-but how!?" I was baffled.

"I'm a immortal demon. I know things others do not." He explained simply, most likely frustrated with my pestering. I decided to stop questioning him and stay quiet.

"Now we can activate your powers further, yes?" He asked, expectedly.

"Yes. I mean, it would be better with all of them. But I don't see how that's possible since they have the other four in Sonic's house."

"That's not a issue anymore." His emerald eyes pored at me.

"...What do you mean?" I hesitated. I didn't know what he was getting at and I wasn't sure if I wanted to.

"They're all under my control as of right now, helpless. I could roam his house when I wish."

I arched a brow, impressed but surprised. I didn't know Mephiles was able to do things like that, and I was shocked that any of the Freedom Fighters would fall under his control.

A part of me was even scared.

"However, it seems the blue buffoon and that pesky emo one aren't under my influence. This may cause troubles for us."

I didn't really know what to make of that. I was still a ball of emotions and so sure that everyone betrayed me. Could of I been deceived? Definitely. But could Mephiles also be telling the truth? Yes.

"I'm sure I'll have some powers by then." I mumbled. He seemed to be pleased with my response.

"If we start soon." Mephiles paused. "If you take these emeralds, I expect you to remain loyal." He seemed hesitant to give me the chaos emeralds, which was understandable. I wasn't even sure what to do with myself right now. I planned on staying by his side, unless otherwise. It all depended on the future.

"Of course." I smirked, attempting to ease him. He didn't seem much better. "Mephiles, what good would it do for me to betray you? My friends hate me, and there's no way back to my home. I can give you my word."

Mephiles seemed to have believed this reasonable explanation and began to hand me the chaos emeralds. I took the three and made them float with my hands, it was a sight to see. I watched, mesmerized and ecstatic. Mephiles just stared unsure of my movements.

"Relax. I'm just seeing what I can do."

I moved the chaos emeralds around more with my hands and they started spinning in a speedy circle. I had little control over the movement, but it was progress, nonetheless.

"Those chaos emeralds give you supernatural abilities. We would easily be able to take down the Freedom Fighters if you learned to control it." Mephiles still seemed somewhat unsure in giving me information about the emeralds power. I was just happy I finally achieved some sort of power.

Who knew if I'd ever get this far with the others.

"Yeah. I'll learn, no need to worry."

"I'm not worried. I could crush them with the palms of my fist." All talk.

"Sure."

"Fine, mortal. If you so wish to see your friends perish..."

Mephiles teleported out of my site and I stood still looking into the air of nothingness, regretting what I just said. I didn't want to see them die! I may not of trusted them, but I didn't want anyone dead!

I tried using my chaos emeralds to teleport me to Mephiles location, but it was pointless. I barely had any understanding and I just couldn't do it yet.

It was all up to them to save themselves.

And that frightened me the most.