Chapter 12: First Day

H.Q actually looked a lot more depressing than I thought. I was really hoping they weren't going to stick me with some office job.

"Agent Rogue." The commander greeted.

"Commander." Rogue slightly bowed her head. I did the same.

"So you want another partner, I see..." The commander turned his head towards me.

"Yes, sir. She's very strong and she's definitely capable for this job." I was actually quite surprised by Rogue's words. It was definitely refreshing to hear though.

"Very well. To prove this, I'll be sending you on a mission with her."

"You won't be disappointed."

"One more thing..."

"Agent Shadow is coming."

—————

"Rogue why didn't you tell me you and Shadow were partners?!" The two of us were currently changing in the locker room. I was wearing a black tank top, with black jeans and a ponytail.

"I didn't want to scare you away! I can get the big guy to calm down, don't worry." Rogue smirked.

"He's gonna kill me!" I yelped.

"Relax, Y/N. He's just worried. Besides, he'll have time to calm down the mission isn't for another few days." Rogue and I walked towards the training room.

"You haven't even told me about the mission..." I sighed.

"Let's just focus on your training first." Rogue swiped a card and opened the training room. There, was about 30 other agents training. Most of them were fighting each other and I gulped at the sight.

"Am I...going to have to fight someone?" I whimpered to Rogue.

"Toughen up. You'll be fine." Rogue playfully elbowed my arm.

"If Shadow doesn't kill me first...these guys will." I hesitantly walked over to a punching bag. Rogue went off to another group of Agents and I decided to mind my own business to avoid fighting.

"Hey, rookie." A black fox walked over to me.

"Yes?" I slowly looked over my shoulder, stopping my punches.

"Show me what you got." He chuckled.

"No thanks. I'll stick to my bag." I gave him a shy grin. He clenched his fists.

"I wasn't asking." His tone sounded more harsh. I tried my best not to curl up into a ball.

"Fight someone your own size." I smirked. The fox let out a growl.

"I'm not letting a pipsqueak like you tell me what to do." He cracked his knuckles. I slowly backed away from the fox in fear.

"Listen, man...just leave me alone. I wasn't bothering anyone!" I stuck my hands out in defense.

"You were bothering me." He furrowed his brows. Just as he was about to raise his fists, a figure came up from behind him and smacked them down. The fox looked behind him, in fear?

"Agent Smith, I will not let you fight this woman."  I recognized that voice. It was Shadow. When did he get here?

"Sir!? We both agreed...I swear!" 'Smith' loosened his fists.

"I heard everything. Agent Y/N did not consent. How dare you assault a girl like that? I command you to go to my office immediately." Shadow spat out coldly. I had never seen this side of him before, even when he was angry at me! It was actually kind of scary...

"Yes, sir!" Smith bowed before sprinting out of the room. I lowered my head expecting a lecture from Shadow but instead he stood in silence.

"Are you...okay?" Shadow hesitated.

"Oh, y-yeah. Thank you, Shadow." I lifted my head up and smiled.

"Come to me if anything like that happens again." Shadow said sternly. Isn't that the opposite of what he wanted? He told me not to get in his way...

"Shadow, I-I don't want to burden you. I'll be fine." I tried to deny his offer.

"It's not a burden to keep you safe. Please, tell me if anything bad happens, alright?" Shadow looked at me pleadingly.

"Alright..." I sighed.

"Good. Now excuse me, I have to go deal with a jackass." As Shadow began to walk away I decided to tease him once more.

"Language!" I mimicked. Shadow had a smirk on his face as he turned around and walked out of the room. I giggled before I returned back to my punching bag and thought of Agent Smith.

—————

"So how was your first day at G.U.N?" The gang decided to go out to the beach after the three of us got home from work. I was currently talking to Amy while sitting on a beach towel in the sand.

Everyone else was in the water, except Sonic and Shadow. Sonic just hated water and watched them from afar, occasionally tossing a ball back and forth, while Shadow just laid on a towel beside us and shut his eyes. He might've even been asleep.

"Pretty good. I'm glad we went to the beach tonight, it's beautiful in the dark..." I watched the sunset in amazement.

"Yeah, Sonikku and I went here for one of our dates!" Amy giggled.

"Oh, so I was right?" I smirked.

"About what?" Amy turned to face me.

"My couples theory. I heard that you and Sonic were a thing, along with a few other people..." I chuckled. Amy just sat there in confusion.

"Well...Sonic and I aren't official, but we will be!" Damn, she was determined...I give her credit for that!

"Who else did you think were couples?" Amy perked up.

"Tails and Cream, and Shadow and Rogue." Amy looked rather complexed. It was then, that I noticed Shadow was right beside us, listening the whole time.

"I am DEFINITELY not dating Rogue." He spoke up harshly. Amy burst into laughter, whilst I just sat there, in shock.

"Seriously?! I swore you two were dating!"

"Hell no! " Shadow hissed. He seemed disgusted at the thought. I couldn't help but giggle at my stupid theory.

"Hey, you got the Cream and Tails one right though!" Amy rubbed my back.

"Doesn't make up for the Rogue one..." Shadow muttered.

"Cheer up, Shads. She didn't know!" Amy rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. I wouldn't date any Freedom Fighters. Just so you know..." Shadow sat up from his lying position.

"Why not?" Amy asked.

"You're all annoying!" Shadow growled.

"Hey! I'm not annoying!" I glared at the edgy hedgy.

"You're...not a Freedom Fighter." Shadow laid back down. Huh. So what's that mean for me?

"True." I shifted my gaze back at the sun.

"You could be if you wanted to..." Amy suggested.

"We'll have to discuss that with the team." I smiled back at Amy. Shadow seemed to be intrigued by our conversation, as his eyes were wide open and his red orbs were staring at us.

"Hm, then maybe I would..." Shadow mumbled.