Chapter 15: Aftermath

"Shadow, what were you thinking?!" Knuckles growled at the angered hedgehog. We were all currently gathered in the kitchen, trying to get information out of Mr. Grumpy.

"Shut up you red fur-ball! The commander didn't suspend me." Shadow glared back at the echidna. Unfortunately, Knuckles has a very short temper and did not handle his new nickname very well.

"YOU WANT TO GO?! I'LL SHUT THAT DUMB TRAP OF YOURS." Knuckles slammed his fists into the counter. Rogue was quick to fly over and hold him back.

"I could kick your ass quicker than I handled Scourge." Shadow sheepishly grinned. The others were just disturbed by his cockiness, including me. Even Sonic wouldn't of gone this far.

"Shadow, what's gotten into you? You've never flipped out like this before." Rogue sighed, not daring to look at him.

"Yeah, insulting Knuckles? Not cool, Shads." Sonic folded his arms, disapprovingly.

"Shut up, faker. This does not involve you." Shadow hissed, now glaring at the blue blur. I was sitting in the back with Tails, observing them all. Their interactions did not show a hint of kindness.

"It does when you could've hurt Y/N."

"Hurt? I was helping! That guy was harassing her!" Shadow furrowed his brows, and stood up on his feet in defense.

"But now she's more likely going to be a target for the other Agents..." Tails sighed.

"What...how?" I glanced at the two-tailed fox.

"Shadow is a top agent, very respected. Now that everyone knows the two of yours situation they'll likely target you to anger Shadow." Tails explained. I was more curious to what he meant by our situation. But I didn't dare to ask.

"I'd like to see them try." Shadow huffed, sitting back down. The echidna just glared at him and Sonic let out a frustrated sigh.

"Shadow, you really need to be more responsible with you actions. They affect others." Amy slid her arms to Shadow's shoulder. He was quick to knock them away.

"Are you all seriously mad that I protected her? Would you rather her get raped?! I certainly wouldn't! I don't understand what the problem is!" Shadow slammed his fists onto the counter. We all stood there, bewildered. He did have a point, and I couldn't help but be appreciative that he risked his job to protect me.

"Because you took it too far, hun."

"Nonsense! I would've done that no matter what..." He implied. I wasn't entirely sure what he was getting at. But I knew him and Rogue were discussing something deeper than what I knew.

"Y/N can protect herself." Sonic grunted.

"Tsch, didn't look like it." Shadow glared at the blue hedgehog. I was extremely uncomfortable by the whole situation and decided to excuse myself.

"I'm going to go for a walk..." Before anyone could protest, I was out the door.

Rogue POV:

"Tell us the real reason behind this, Shadow." I glanced back at him. I was aware of his obvious gentleness towards Y/N but I wanted to hear it from him.

"I don't know what you're talking about, but." He grunted, refusing to make eye contact with any of us. We all knew the real reason, it just seemed as if Shadow was the only one oblivious to his own feelings. That's when an idea popped into my head.

"Someone should go check on Y/N..." I smirked, already knowing who would go volunteer.

"I can do it. Shadow's probably tired from today anyway." Sonic insisted. Damn, wrong person. Shadow seemed a little peeved by this but didn't protest. Why can't he just admit his feelings?! He knows Y/N won't be available forever, he needs to make his move!

"Go ahead, big blue." I sighed at Shadow's stupidity. Sonic nodded and burst through the door.

"I'm leaving now." Shadow pulled out his chaos emerald. Perhaps my plan still had potential...

Y/N POV:

As I sat down on the park bench, I saw a familiar blue blur approach me.

"Hey, Y/N. The others sent me to check on how you are doing." Sonic placed his hands on his hips.

"Oh, I'm fine. I'm just thinking about today..." I stared off into space.

"Yeah, Shads can be very aggressive..." Sonic sighed, taking a seat beside me.

"I just feel bad. He's done a lot for me and I just feel like a burden." I didn't dare to make eye contact with Sonic.

"You're not a burden. Soon enough, you'll get your powers and I'm sure you'll return the favor." Sonic gave me a reassuring smile.

"Hopefully..." I looked back at him.

"Anyways, did Shadow say anything to you after the fight?"

"No. He was taken away by other agents." I fiddled with my fingers.

"Alright...how are you two getting along anyway?" Sonic hesitated.

"He's pretty grumpy, but I don't mind. I can tell deep down he has a soul." I rolled my eyes sarcastically. Sonic lowly chuckled.

"That's Shadow for ya! He does care though Y/N, he just has a weird way of showing it..." Sonic's tone was quick to change.

"I'll take your word for it."

"Also, where have you been sleeping? I know you weren't here last night but the previous nights I didn't notice you were on the couch." Sonic looked at me with curiosity.

"I don't even know myself. I got too tired and just chose a random room." I giggled.

"You could've possible been sleeping in Shadow's room..." Sonic seemed lost in thought. What? Maybe that's why I always smelt him on the pillows...Why would he have a spare room in a house that's not even his?!

"Why would Shadow have a room at your place?" I glanced at Sonic.

"At one point, one of our missions involved a fight at Shadow's cave. Eggman's robots destroyed his place and he stayed with us temporarily. Occasionally, he'll spend nights with us and sleep in there..." Sonic explained. I couldn't of been anymore confused. Why would Shadow let me sleep in his bed..?!

"Oh...I'm surprised he would agree to that." I chuckled. Maybe Shadow has a soft spot?

"Yeah, but he really didn't have any other options." Sonic sighed. "Anyways, enough about him, we should probably get back." Sonic stood up.

"Yeah, okay..." Sonic grabbed my hand and started speeding off back to the shack with me. What I wasn't aware of was the figure in the trees, listening to our whole conversation.