Chapter 31: Backstabber

"Good morning, Y/N." That was an unfamiliar voice. I awoke from my bedsheets only to find Knuckles staring down at me. The two of us were never really close. Why was he waking me up?

"Good morning?"

"Sonic wanted me to wake you up. The others are out searching for the chaos emeralds and he wanted me to bring you to him." That's weird. Why wouldn't he just call Shadow? He could easily chaos control me.

I simply nodded my head in confusion and got dressed. Knuckles waited for me downstairs and quickly tossed me an apple. I shot him a 'thanks' as he headed out the door with me.

We arrived at the park where I fought Eggman and I noticed Sonic staring off into the distance. I looked behind me only to notice that Knuckles was gone. I gulped. Was this about the thing on the beach? I still didn't know what to make of it...

"Uh, hey Sonic. Knuckles said you wanted to meet me?" I approached the dazed hedgehog only for him to whip around and flash a smile at me.

"I do." This was so strange. Sonic was always a little more social than this...

"Okay? Why?"

"I think it would be best for you to leave the Freedom Fighter's." Sonic spoke so monotone, I could've sworn he wasn't actually joking.

"Nice one. What do you really wanna talk about?"

"I'm being serious. A human doesn't belong on our team. We have all agreed to this." Sonic closed his eyes as my heart dropped. I was hurt and furious. How dare he? He's the one who brought me here! Now he's abandoning me?!

"This was YOUR idea! I can't go back to my world and your just leaving me! Some hero you are." I scoffed, Sonic's brows furrowed in a unnatural way. I began worrying for my own safety.

"Get out of here before you regret it. I will not hold back on a weakling like you." His voice deepened with his threats. I chocked on my own sobs as I backed away and ran into the forest.

The only thing to do now was to search for the chaos emeralds.

Sonic POV:

"You won't get away with this Eggman!"

Eggman made me watch my clone hurt Y/N. I growled at the site. He was going to get what he deserved for manipulating her like that. I still can't believe he managed to capture me, along with my friends.

I failed them.

"Oh, that's where your wrong Sonic. The hero can't always win, and it's about time for that." Eggman chuckled maliciously as he maneuvered my look-alike.

"Ha, Shadow is still out there! You won't beat him!" I smirked in victory.

"Please, that pesky rodent will fall for my trap just like you and your friends, and we all know that little human has no idea what she's doing. Face it! You lost to ME."

No...

I can't.

For once, I didn't have a reply to Eggman. My friends remained speechless too. Some were even unconscious. I could feel my eyes watering at my loss. How could I fail everyone? It's my job to stop him! How could I fall into his trap?

I'm counting on you now, Shadow and Y/N.

~

Y/N POV:

It's been hours since I've entered the forest. I don't think I've heard any word from the gang since Sonic. Which I could care less about. I can't believe they would do this to me! They made me come all this way just to do this! Now I'm stuck in this world forever.

Alone.

"Y/N!" That voice was oddly familiar.

"Y/N?!" I knew who it was. But I didn't want him to find me. Those backstabbers can turn their asses back around and leave me the hell alone.

I heart a faint chaos control and I immediately knew who was behind me. I felt Shadow place a hand on my shoulder but I was quick to swat it away.

"What do YOU want?" I sneered, mere seconds away from punching him.

"Are you mad...at me?"

YES.

"Of course I am! You abandoned me and threw me to the curb! I remember exactly what Sonic said and I HATE YOU for it." I growled at Shadow who looked surprisingly shocked and hurt by my words.

"W-what do you mean? I said nothing!" His voice quivered.

"LIAR! Sonic told me you all called me weak and kicked me out of the Freedom Fighter's, threw me out of the house! The only home I have! And that's YOUR fault! You brought me into this world and you do THIS to me?! I HATE YOU, SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG!" My long speech ended with me fighting back tears again. This was my closest friend on the team and him hurting me like this was completely unexpected.

But my words were more shocking to him than I was by the whole situation.

"Y/N, please understand I never said that. Sonic has a clone running around and Eggman captured all of Freedom Fighter's. I promise you I never said anything like that. I would never do that to you,
Y/N." Shadow reached out for my hand and squeezed it. I let him do so but did not return the favor.

"How am I supposed to believe you?" I hesitated.

"Trust me like how I trust you."