Chapter 16

Cana Pov

The sparkle of something Irene held in her hand caught my attention when she turned towards me from the changing booth. She held a diadem in her hand. It was small yet looked very pretty with its single thumb sized onyx and smaller ones on the sides. Her pink ballgown was fitting so well with the rest of her accessories and her hair was freely flowing with two bangs falling from the sides of her face. She held it up higher to me right in front of her necklace, a strange black cross. "Here take take it this will fit nicely with your blue dress." She spoke and her lips curled up slowly to a smile. "Thanks Irene ,I really didn't think of any accessories for it." I replied and slowly took it from her hands.

She waved with both her hands wildly. "Oh its really nothing, I only want this request to be remembered between us and I'm certain Y/n will love it seeing you in this, don't you think Rose?" She stated with a teasing smirk and placed a hand on her hip while looking at her. "Oh he'll fall head over heels for Cana." Her exceed chirped and I stared down to not meet their smug smiles as I had a faint blush on my face. 

I had no idea how in hell we would be able to fight without destroying our newly bought attire and why am I so nervous. I placed my right hand near my chest feeling the thumping of my heart. I clenched my hand tightly. Everything is going to be alright and we will have a great time as a team. A gloved hand touched my should and I looked up to see Irene's worried gaze. "Are you alright Cana? You seem nervous?" She asked and raised an eyebrow in wonder.

I shook my head. "I'm alright just a bit excited, you seem to be too aren't you?" I asked and could swear I heard her inhale sharply before looking away from me. "Uh yeah, I am excited why wouldn't I be." She stammered and held her hand near her mouth. "We get to eat a lot of good dishes are going to see Y/n and Gildarts all suited up and looking like two handsome gentlemen ready to ask us for a dance, I mean what could we ask more." She trailed of and began to play with her fingers.

I couldn't help the small laugh. "I can't believe it, you are acting worse then Erza when it comes to romantic stuff it seems like, or are you just that nervous?" I asked and she blushed more. "Oh s-shut up. I really like going to events like this, I was a royal in my early life always dressed in fine clothes and hearing the soft melody playing in the distance of the ballroom before going to it." She exclaimed and I ohed.

"I'm certain both are waiting for us Irene so we shouldn't keep them on the edge any longer and head over to the door to the ballroom and have their jaws drop on seeing us." I stated and she nodded quickly. I stopped her from walking by grabbing her shoulder. "Just one question." I said and pointed to her necklace. "What is this." I asked and she moved her hand up to grab it, holding it between her pointed and thumb. "This, its an old sign of the royals, each kingdom had to pledge alliance to the current religion of the time. This cross symbolizes from which region the ruler is, my kingdom was right here in Fiore the rest is history but all I know is, its very likely Hisui does not use this as her symbol of power any longer. It was used during the war time, you know over 400 years ago all of Ishgar was at war with each other. My grandfather king Harald, made an end to that war with an army of over 200 thousand men right at the edge of the mountains east from here where the invading army had come. This symbol is one of unity, bravery and honor, those who wear it are to never turn their backs to a fight and flee. The ten rulers who used to have them all but one perished in history, their legacy burned down fallen to rubble, forgotten by everyone of the common folk. I'm the last of the ancient blood who swears to this day to never run from a fight, I'd rather end my own life then run away like a coward from battle." She stated and I was astonished that such a small piece could have this kind of meaning.

"I see, you seem to be very attached to your past Irene." I said and she nodded slowly. "Why wouldn't I be, the past is who I am. That thing I was the last 30 or so years was a mere lifeless body driven by insanity and the inhuman lust to inflict pain to others, the stuff I did is none I will ever speak of." She stated with a terrified look on her face.