;Recovery and Discovery

Ben's POV

It had been about an hour since we'd returned from the airport, and I was sitting on the porch of my old home, deep in thought. I heard footsteps on the wood behind me, and turned to see Ari approaching with a mug of hot chocolate. "Oh, thanks hun," I said gratefully, accepting the mug and kissing her cheek. She sat down next to me and sighed as she looked around.

"Something on your mind, Ben?" she asked, taking a sip of her mug. I sighed. "Yeah... I'm just... so confused. I use to live out at the airport, how the hell did they manage to hide a secret lab out there?" "Maybe they built it after you left?" she suggested, to which I nodded. "Ok, point taken, but why would they want a secret lab here?" She shrugged and took a sip.

I took a sip from my own, smiling. "Well, either way, I'm glad I got back to you... I love you, Ari." She smiles and puts her hand on my leg, leaning in. I smiled, shifted my mug to my right hand, and used my left to bring her face down. Locking our lips, I slip my tongue into her mouth for a few minutes before pulling away. Ari was blushing hard, and I chuckle. "So, my precious Ari... fancy some fun tonight?"

I didn't think it was possible, but my wife managed to blush even harder before nodding. After a few minutes, I ask another question. "How's Landon?" She looked at me and shrugged. "Well, he's getting settled in alright," she said, "few minor injuries but they were easy enough to treat. By the way, while I was in the room he's in I noticed something across the alley, in one of the other house's backyards." "What was it?" I asked, taking another sip of the hot chocolate.

"It looked like an old-style vending machine. It was light blue with white writing, couldn't make out much else," she said. I froze. That sounds like a perk machine, I thought. "Which backyard was it in?" I ask, and she took me across the alley through our broken back fence.

Once climbing over the fence into the person's backyard, I saw the machine and gasped. I recognized the perk it gave - it was Major Melee's Margarita, my custom perk. Kissing Ari passionately as thanks, I walk up to the machine and buy a bottle. It came out with a minor clatter, and after taking it out I looked it over. "Well... bottoms up..." I said, opening the bottle and drinking the contents.

After a few seconds, I felt something within me. Groaning, I clenched my fists and saw they were being surrounded by a bright blue aura. My body felt funny, especially my hands, and as I walked to the left of the machine I felt the urge to punch the wall. 

So I did.

BLAM!

Ari screamed as the wall where I'd hit it exploded, leaving me somewhat surprised. When it cleared, I realized I - and my clothes - were perfectly fine, but the wall where I'd punched it had exploded. Looking back at Ari, I smile and then look back at my hands, still glowing. After a moment of concentration the glow fades, and I dust myself off.

"B-Ben?" she said, voice quivering. "Yes, my love?" I ask casually as I walk up to her. "W-w-what j-just..." she trails off, looking at the wall, making me chuckle. "Oh don't worry honey... it's a custom perk, my custom perk," I said in response, hugging her. She seemed uncertain, but returned the hug.

When we returned to the house a few minutes later we found Landon sitting in his bed wearing one of my old clone trooper helmets from when I was a kid. I laughed when I saw this. "What?" he asked innocently, to which I shook my head, trying to stop my laughter. "N-nothing, Landon..." I said, walking in, "how do you feel?" He took the helmet off and put it next to him, showing his smiling face. "A lot better, Arianna's a very good nurse. Pretty too." 

I fix him with a look before speaking. "Arianna is also married, Landon, so don't go trying anything, especially since you're talking to her husband right now." He looks surprised and a bit disappointed, but nods. I pat his leg and leave the room as Ari comes in with some food for Landon, and before leaving the room I give her a peck on the cheek.

The next day

The day after, Henry, myself and Aaron were making our way to the library, Landon, now asking us to call him Micro, in tow. We had decided to see about setting up there, as it was more spacious than any of the houses and could accommodate comfortably the entire group. The four of us were scouting, myself in the lead. I hadn't told them about my new powers, so they were confused when I put my rifle on my back. I lightly punched the door, and with the 500% power boost to melee attacks Major Melee's Margarita gives a person it opened immediately. My friends looked at me in shock.

"Since when could you do that?!" Landon asked, shocked. "HOLY SHIT- HOW DID- WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?!?" Henry was freaking out, looking quickly between me and the door. I chuckled and my right hand gained a blue aura. "Since I took a bottle of Triple-M yesterday." They blinked and grinned. "So that's why you put the rifle away," Aaron said, to which I nod and walk inside. 

The library was dusty, with several shelves having fallen over. There were no signs of a zombie being loose at all, and the lights were on. Walking deeper inside, I suddenly felt someone leap onto my back. "What the-" I shouted before being punched in the face. Growling, I grabbed my assailant and threw him over me into a bookshelf, before getting into a fighting stance. He looked back at me - I didn't recognize him, but he was looking at me angrily with a knife. Running at me the stranger slashed, which I blocked easily with my vambrace and punched him in the chest, pushing him back.

"Don't try it again," I warned, but he charged again. I blocked his blows easily then lifted him into the air and threw him at another shelf. "Mate, I'm going easy on you," I said, walking toward him. I heard a pistol and raised my arm to protect my face as a woman in the door nearby shot at me. I heard a CLANG, bracing for the pain.

BAM!

I was shocked when an explosion rang out on my vambrace. Since when could Triple-M block bullets?! I lowered my arm, glaring at her, only for Henry to shout, "JEN?! M-MATT?! WAIT, DAD TOO?!"

It was Henry's father, stepmother and stepbrother. They had survived here in the library.