↳ hurts like hell

unrequited! Tommy Shelby x reader / Alfie Solomons x reader

Warnings: violence, swearing, smut

Summary: unrequited love sucks, until you move on and they realise they've lost you for good

word count: 2.3k

Loosely based on 'hurts like hell' by madison beer

Your fingers were clasped around the glass of whiskey in your hand so tight that it was a miracle it hadn't shattered into tiny pieces.

You were supposed to be happy for him; your best friend was finally cheery. Instead, you were at the bar, watching as he twirled her around as they danced – a bright smile on both their faces.

You should be out there, dancing in his arms; celebrating the successful business deal at the bar that Alfie Solomons had invited you to, yet here you were sulking. The earlier conversation between the both of you continuously running through your head, which you were trying to drown out with alcohol.

"Tom, I have to tell you something-"

A deep exhale echoed through Tommy's chest as he pinched the bridge of his nose and held a palm out towards you. "Don't do this Y/N, not after the good day we had. I finally got Solomons to agree to the deal – let's toast to the win."

"Thomas, I'm trying to tell you that I fucking love you!"

An unsettling silence settled around you, as his eyes finally met yours; the only sound being the ticks from the grandfather clock in the corner of the room and your laboured breathing.

"I don't - I'm sorry Y/N, I don't feel the same," he whispered, a soft pitying expression settling over his features. "I'm in love with Grace. We're still friends, yeah?"

"Yeah, promise."

With tears threatening to spill, you downed the rest of your drink before gesturing the barman over to you. Seeming to know what you needed, the older man placed the bottle in front of you and you didn't even bother to pour it into your glass; taking a swig straight from the bottle.

"What's got a pretty lady like yer' all in the slumps?"

Jumping at the sudden voice beside you, you turned your head to see none other than Alfred Solomons himself. There was a hint of a smile behind his beard, a curious gaze in his eyes.

"Rough day," you shrugged, offering him the bottle. Grabbing it, Alfie placed it to his lips and took a gulp before handing it back to you.

A chuckle passed his lips as he watched you drink, before he leant against the bar, his knuckles tapping on the wooden surface. "Wouldn't say it was a rough day, doll. We did make a deal, right, you were there – fuckin' challenging lil thing you are, yeah."

"I learnt how to bargain from Polly Gray, what'd you expect?" You teased back, knowing just how much you got Alfie to give up before you finally had a deal.

The Peaky boys were impressed, they all said as much when you left the bakery; and you were proud to have done so. Tommy had pulled you to his side, muttering about how Shelby women were always stubborn in the best of ways and it made your heart swell at the idea that he considered you a Shelby.

"Learnt how to argue, more like," Alfie retorted, taking the bottle out of your hands and putting it on the bar before sliding out of his seat. "Right, listen closely you stubborn woman, because this is a one time offer, yeah."

"What are you offering me, Mr. Solomons?"

With a hand held out in your direction, Alfie tilted his head slightly to the side. "I'm obviously offering a fuckin' dance, Miss Y/L/N, aye. What do you say, doll?"