↳ predicament (part two)

Alfie Solomons x Shelby! sister reader

Warnings: talks of war, violence, shitty ending but what else do you expect from me, eh?

word count: 3.7k

𝟏𝟗𝟐𝟏

Your brother was an ambitious man – albeit that he was a self-righteous and stubborn asshole.

He was in no good shape to have dismissed himself from the hospital, with bloodshot eyes, bruised limbs and broken ribs– you were scared that he was going to topple over as you walked down the streets of Camden Town.

"Tom," you whispered, tossing your cigarette to the ground – watching the embers float in the air for a second before disappearing as you snubbed the stick out with the heel of your kitty heels. "Maybe we should get back home first."

Tommy was quick to cut off your suggestion, his voice blunt but stern. "We're already fucking here – keep walking."

Sighing, you rolled your eyes at your brothers headstrong personality. The way he was stumbling over his own feet, ignoring the blood that was coating his face – his appearance reminded you of the day you stepped off the train after returning from the war, Tommy barely able to keep himself standing long enough to pull you into a hug.

You could remember that day like it was yesterday, the feeling of finally being in your brothers arms after years.

Your shaky feet hit the cobblestone ground of Birmingham's train station, rain lightly dribbling from the dark clouds as you took in the multiple people crowding the platform.

Clenching your small satchel closer to your chest, you raised onto your tip-toes, trying to catch sight of a familiar face, but before you could spot anyone – a loud yell of your name caused your head to snap to the right; just in time to catch a small body.

"Y/N! You're back!" A small giggle escaped your lips as you fell to your knees, tugging your youngest brother impossibly closer.

"I'm back, Finn," you smiled, pulling away to cup your brothers face in your hands. "My God! Look how much you've grown – you're so handsome!"

Before Finn could reply, two more sets of arms wrapped around you from both sides – the sounds of cries from both your aunt and sister filling your ears.

"You are never allowed to do that again!" Ada sobbed, as you pressed a kiss to her forehead as you stood – her arms wrapping tightly around your middle as Polly took in your appearance.

You knew that you didn't look like the innocent girl that had left that fateful day at the same station. You were maturer – didn't look at the world with the same wonder and excitement that you did once before. She could see the horrors behind your eyes, the disaster that tormented you and would follow you around for the rest of your life.

Because those who returned from the war weren't the lucky ones – for they would forever have to live in a constant state of trepidation.

"Come, the boys are waiting to see you," Polly spoke after a beat of silence – her hands moving from your cheeks to grab your own palms; pulling you with her.

You couldn't stop the tears that feel down you cheeks in harsh waves – a sharp sob leaving your throat as you practically ran towards John who held his arms wide open for you. It wasn't long before Arthur tugged you away with a low 'I fucking missed her too, give me a hug.'

After being in your eldest brothers embrace for long enough, you pulled away – pressing a kiss to his cheek before turning to your twin. You could see how much the war had aged him; you supposed that you probably looked the same.