24.

Daniyal's POV:

My laptop was in my lap and I was sitting on the floor with crossed legs, Ammi was sitting on the couch massaging my nape and shoulders as well as scolding me for not taking care of myself.

"It's all because of your wrong posture." She scolded me because of the stiffness of my neck and nape.

"Ammi let me do this work it's very urgent," I muttered and started giving my eyes to the laptop screen. It was an important work which I had to submit tomorrow morning at any cost. Baba was sitting beside Ammi and talking to some random topics I was replying carelessly but suddenly he brought up one of his two favourite topics.

"Ab ye radio station wali job to permanent hai na?"

(Now this radio station job is permanent, isn't it?)

"Baba aap kyu ek hi baat puchhte rehte hain?" I asked in a defeated voice. "Right now, I am doing freelancing work, and trust me it's better than a permanent job," I added to make Baba disappointed one more time.

(Baba why do you keep asking the same thing?)

"I'm worried about your future." He added and I sighed while looking up at him. Honestly, he knows how to overthink so well. "Just don't worry, baba."

"Shifa se baat Hui aaj?"

(Talked to Shifa?)

"Har roz hoti hai."

(I talk to her daily!)

Oh no! I unthought out! This is the second favourite topic of my parents. They could marry me off the very next day if possible for them. But for now, I had to handle what I've done without thinking even once.

"Kazmi Sahab..." Ammi looked at baba then they both gave me a controversial look... Like trying to prove me a liar.

"Suna aapne? Har roz baat hoti hai"

(Have you heard? They talk everyday)

"To kya hua? Jab har roz sath kaam krenge to roz bat b hogi hi na!"

(So what? It's obvious for us to talk as we work together daily.)

"Daniyal Aap keh kyu nahi dete ki aapko Shifa pasand hai?" Ammi gave me a disappointed look and I sighed.

(Why don't you confess that you like shifa?)

"Because I don't like her! She is a nice girl but it doesn't mean every good friendship or every relationship should end at the note of love and marriage!" I told my honest opinion but don't know why my parents don't understand me?

"Agar Shifa pasand nhi hai to rishte wali baat rehne dete hain,'' Ammi told Baba and I was shocked. How did she come to that conclusion? But she's realising too late.

(If you don't like Shifa, then let go of the matter of this relationship.)

" Okay, Daniyal?" Baba asked and shrugged.

"I don't have any problem, baba."

"Okay, then I'll talk to Mirha's parents, if not Shifa then Mirha." My eyes became wide and I suddenly turned my head towards her.

"No, please... Shifa is fine, even a thousand times better than Mirha." I literally join my hands in front of her, and my parents laughed aloud. "See Kazmi Sahab, your son doesn't even like Shifa but is not ready to marry another girl."

"Ammi baba... Please... You're taking us wrong." I give try to my luck but they both jerked their heads. "In our age, we start getting to understand what's cooking in others' heads," Baba told me and I sighed. No matter how much I try to make them believe, they are still at their place that I love Shifa.