Chapter : 42

Sudha.

The lake water shines like crystal under the moonlight and his grey eyes keep looking at it as his one elbow rests on the window sill. He loves staying in this room, her familiar smell engulfs him in a weird sense of safety, a sense of warmth and home. A feeling he so forcefully ripped out of his heart long ago. Now as he stands in her room looking outside he knows, the attempt was futile. He was a failure. He was a failure to convince his heart that he can't afford to lose his focus, he doesn't need happiness, he doesn't need a family, he doesn't need her. Above all he failed to make his heart understand how dangerous it could be to drag her into his life, a life full of threats, full of darkness. He has been selfish.

All he needed was that one serene look of assurance and comfort from her that night, when he thought the good for nothing journey of his life might as well end at that point. He was disappointed when someone actually tried to help him, but fate had a totally different platter ready for him. This huge world has so many inhabitants but he had to be rescued by this one girl he was determined to forget.

He remembers when he saw that video, his heart kept doing somersaults. But being the man he has become he couldn't react. The only thing he managed to do was pausing the video and look at her confident face after so many years. He convinced himself, he has nothing to do with her, no matter how strong and beautiful she has grown to become. No matter how appealing she might have seemed to the most unused part of his heart. HE WILL NEVER LOOK BACK.

But then he did a very simple thing, he asked Ojas to bring the man who dared to clasp her hair. The anger he felt within him was unknown and overwhelming. He still remembers how the man screamed in agony when he so diligently broke three of his very unimportant fingers. That was pure satisfaction for him. And that's when he realized he was screwed for good.

Crossing his arms over his chest he slowly turns his face towards her sleeping figure. His grey eyes stay fixed at her face. Releasing a deep breath he walks towards the bed and takes the exact same position as he pulls her head on his lap once again and strokes her cheeks with his thumb. His eyes become glassy and his lips twitch up forming a real smile for the first time as his mind roams back to the best few days he ever got to spend years ago. The days that keep haunting him even today.

¤¤¤¤¤

"You sure you won't stay back. I know no one here baba." Devansh says sitting inside his car.

"I know, I know. But as I said the project in Himachal needs me immediately. Help me out man! Am I not getting old already?" His father, Devraaj Sachdev says.

"Whatever. Everyone here is way older than me you know. However, what to do? If you're saying it's urgent, then it must be that. But always remember you're betraying me old man. Who? Ansh called you?" He asks.

"No. Pravakaran called. Why do you ask?" Devraaj asks curiously.

"Oh, then I must be wrong. I heard him talking to someone over phone regarding the powerplant project. I must have misinterpreted." Devansh replies.

"You heard? Hmm." Devraaj says to himself then turns his face to his son.
"You know what? Why don't you go and meet Nihal while I deal with this matter at Himachal? I'll be staying at Deshpande's farmhouse only. I guess I'll handle things easily there." He adds, smiling.

"No way baba! Let me get done with this. And I'll be there right away. You said it yourself, you're old, I mean really, look at you." Devansh says, forcefully stifling a laugh.

"Enough for today D'. Okay. I am getting inside to talk to some of the board members before I leave. This competition is quite prestigious you know. I feel bad that I won't be able to attend. So, be good to them. Be you." He says patting on Devansh's shoulder and smiling.