Girl of the Year

an: (2/5/2023) cw: reader is a thick, chubbier girl. without going into my own personal traumas with body image and stuff, keeping the reader thick was a choice im very happy with. if it triggers you, im sorry since it is a hard journey, but pls do not comment about it anymore :") kthxbai

 if it triggers you, im sorry since it is a hard journey, but pls do not comment about it anymore :") kthxbai

Everyone works the rest of the day in their own bubble. Rachel starts taking actual phone calls and Greg calls people too. You're in your files, researching and approving and disapproving. You wonder what Bruce said or implied when he didn't linger over them as he did you. But, you can't worry about that. You don't want to ask because you know Rachel would pry into what car tomorrow and Greg would launch into something you don't care about. You pull out your phone however and text your friend that you need to meet her for drinks after work. She sends back that she cannot as she will be on a date with her partner. You make a face but accept it. You would live your fantasy alone tonight.

As the day wraps up, Rachel starts her lingering. "You're just a busy little bee aren't you? Meticulous is what Mr. Wayne said." Your eyes meet and you see the anger in her blue-green eyes. "Yeah. Something like that. I just wanna do my job right." You put the approval folders in their place for Greg to handle tomorrow. "But you're so good at it. You need to give me and Greg pointers." Greg puts his coat on and shakes his head. "You've got the easiest job, but glad you're good at it. Makes my job a little easier." He doesn't take Rachel's bait fortunately and she backs down. "You're right Greg. So lucky to have you (Y/N)." She says with a snide smile.

You put away the rest of your folders for tomorrow. You're always a bit tired but satisfied after work. You did good work and feel like you're going to make a change. Hopefully. There's nothing more you can do besides hope anyhow. As you walk to your car, you decide to call your friend, knowing they would be getting ready for their date.

"This better be important. You know my getting ready ritual can't be interrupted."

They say with a huff. You've been friends since high school and stayed in touch in college even being roommates up until a few years ago. They're the closest friend you have and you consider them your sibling. "You should sit down." You say as you get in your car. You hear an audible thump as they sit on their floor. "Okay tell me." You start your car let out the squeal you've been holding in since he asked you to be his date.

"Oh my god? Did you call to squeal in my ear? When I have a hot date in two hours?" You calm yourself down and take a deep breath. "You can't tell anyone. Not a fucking soul."

"Okay. Damn. What is it? Are you pregnant? What?" You shake your head and finally get your nerves to simmer. "Bruce Wayne asked me to be his date to this gala next week."

Silence.

You tap your phone screen to see if the call is connected as you get on the highway and hit the normal daily traffic. "I'm sorry, I think you said you're going on a date with Bruce Wayne. Clearly, you ate some of those edibles we got. Bold of you during the day."