Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Your mother texts you as you get home. "Can I call you?" You rub the space between your brows, trying to massage away the stress that resides there. You hadn't considered Kate's reaction to be upset. You figured she'd welcome you with open arms and take you under her wing as she had before. Maybe it's because you're not trained like her. You glance over at Sabrina who keeps complimenting your choice and gushing over spending time with Dory. Dory gives polite conversation back, but her main concern is the cost. Even though you chose the cheapest dress there, she worries that modifications will make it cost more. You don't know how to fix this issue on top of everything else besides going to a thrift store and finding some white dress to DIY. You've never done that, but if it'd make her happy...

You grimace as you stare at the window. How could you make any of them happy? There's always something... You think as you stare at the ominous text from your mother. It's probably about the dress and wanting to tell you how pretty it is, but she could have just texted you that. You don't know what more she could say unless it's about that mysterious meeting Dory knows about. "I'll call you when I get home." You text back quickly, your heart skipping beats when you remember Bruce. Would he tell Sabrina or would you be stuck in his secrecy and the third shift?

Sabrina notices your brooding and tsks, "Those girls, I don't trust them. They didn't seem very close to you, (Y/N)."

You blink, looking at her through the rearview mirror. "We're not that close. I don't have that many friends since this whole ordeal. Well... I have Kate and Selina."

Sabrina nods as she listens. "Interesting. I think Mrs. Eastbrook gave Selina a gift or something. Saw her slip something in her pocket." You sigh, muttering, "Sticky fingers."

"I do like them though. They're much nicer. I'm sure you'll make more great friends like them once you get out more!" Sabrina says, sitting up straighter with her big smile as you pull into the garage. You wish you could bottle her enthusiasm.

You're surprised Bruce isn't hidden away in the Bat Cave or his office. Instead, he's sitting in the parlor with Alfred and another voice so familiar. Your mom? "I really didn't believe you, Mr. Wayne, when I got that email Saturday. But that meeting was legit. All the right paperwork..."

You pause, glancing at Sabrina. Dory goes about her business around you two, heading upstairs. You creep into the doorway, but out of their sight as you see your mother sitting on the leather couch, back towards you. Alfred and Bruce sit on the other couch across from her. Alfred is in a gray sweater with a white button-down and ties underneath and black pants. Bruce is dressed down in an old band shirt and sweats and his dark sunglasses over his eyes.

"It's the least we can do madam. Your cause is one that Bruce is passionate about and you have the qualifications to make the changes you both would see fit." Alfred says as he leans forward, grabbing his cup of tea.

You shrink back into Sabrina. She looks down at you, raising her dark brow. "Hiding?" She asks in a whisper. Your shoulders jump up and you turn, putting your finger up to your lips. "Snooping!" You mouth back, trying not to make any noise.

It's too late however as the trio stops talking, your mother turning around. Your face heats, but you straighten your coat and walk into the room like an adult. "We're back!" You say as normally as you can. There's a hint of a smirk on Bruce's lips.

"That's good. I heard you found the dress," Alfred says as he stands, going to sit by your mother to make space for you. You flash a polite smile as you sit by your betrothed, still confused about what your mother is doing here. "Yes. I'm sure whatever Mrs. Evangeline does with the modifications will be perfect," You say as Bruce sits back. Sabrina sits in the lone chair.