Opus 23

Bruce helps you up as he follows Alfred down the hall to the living room where he unpauses the screen. The banner at the bottom reads: "Breaking News: Dr. Jonathan Crane and the effects of Drops." Bruce's face is intense as the report explains her story. "Tonight we go in-depth into the drug that has been plaguing our streets, our families, and our friends. Drops have been around for decades, but what is it about this particular drug that keeps people hooked for ages? We brought on Dr. Jonathan Crane to explain further has he has been researching drops since his first exposure to the drug when he worked at Arkham Asylum. Dr. Cane, thank you for coming on. Please tell us what are drops."

You lean into Bruce, steeling yourself as a shiver runs up your spine as they switch the wide frame. He looks like a regular man, his gaunt face fuller, life behind his eyes. They must have needed a lot of makeup to make him seem more human and not decrepit. Bruce rests his hand on your waist, brushing his thumb on your dress.

"Thank you for having me. Drops come in many varieties. I've seen them disguised as actual drops in an eye drop bottle. Most commonly they come hardened in colorful wrappers similar to candy drops, what we find on the streets of Gotham. The effects of drops are long-lasting. I've been researching since I worked in Arkham when we would get patients with the worst reactions with unrecoverable hallucinations, paranoia, anxiety, depression, mood swings, and disassociation. We are harboring a culture however that hides this behind escapism with the high with our club culture and nihilism."

The reporter looks concerned as she listens, "Club culture is so relevant with the youth. My nieces and nephews always are posting about going."

"It's everywhere and these drops are depressants which make everything slow down and make you feel good, but are very addictive. The subculture makes me angry because people don't know the dangers of this drug." Crane continues, his facade almost cracking.

"Yes, in my research, we found that music and social media have been the main drivers of the growth of drop addicts with the youth lately."

Bruce interrupts, "Cut it off." Alfred mutes the television, turning to Bruce. "Well, this throws a wrench into my theory with Crane and Penguin. You think he went to the news because he's upset about their deal?" He asks Alfred.

"It is possible, but why so soon? Did you find any more information from the drops from 44 Below?"

Bruce shakes his head. "No, I didn't. Not yet. I didn't get to drop them off on the way here."

The two men continue talking, walking out of the room, Batman taking precedence. You read the captions, feet rooted to the ground. Crane talks as if he's above it all and gives tips on how to keep your children from drops, away from hip-hop culture and anything he deems corrupt.

"Miss (L/N), are you alright?" You blink, turning to see Lucy's kind older face. Her hands rest on your arms as she gives you a gentle squeeze. "You've been standing still for about five minutes." You relax in her hands, blinking quickly.

"I'm sorry, Lucy... I think I just got caught up in seeing Scarecrow." You gesture to the television, sighing. "Let's put something else on. Master Wayne has already left with Alfred. I don't know when he will be back." She helps you sit on the couch. You flash her a grateful smile. "I'll get you some water. Do you need anything else?"

You nod, "Can you get my phone? I think it's on the charger or in the kitchenette." Lucy rolls her eyes. "You kids and your phones. I'll get it. You get your bearings."

You sit back on the white leather couch as you calm your mind. You wish Bruce would have said goodbye. You watch as the commercials flash for some hip suburban clothes, new cell phones, home improvement companies, and political ads. It's all still silent and you don't want to bring yourself to the television reality and unmute. Lucy arrives moments later, handing you the water and your phone.