Quicksand

Bruce lets out a long breath when you enter his car. He taps the steering wheel, processing everything before he starts the car. You put your seatbelt on, looking over to see people still outside tailgating as they watch the game on a portable tv. You wonder why they didn't just do that at home as Bruce's radio fills the car.

"I made the first move in this cold war," Bruce says as he backs up from his parking space. Your eyebrows raise in recognition. "They are talking about ousting me from my family company. I don't know how they believe it will work, but I'm glad I have taken an interest when I have." He rubs his chin, still thinking as you get on the main road. You focus on the strip malls and cul de sacs you pass before reaching the highway, unsure what to say. "Did Chelsea say anything important?"

You shake your head, looking over at Bruce, his jaw tense. "She only told me to watch my back and not trust anyone." Bruce rolls his eyes. "Nothing I can use."

You smirk as you watch the passing cars at the light. "Once I meet with Lucius, everything will change. I also need to meet with a lawyer still." Bruce muses as he presses on the gas. You say nothing, your mind still reeling. Chelsea's empty threats and fidgeting come back to your brain and then Selina's words. "Don't worry about anyone but you." You sigh, relaxing back in the seat. The sooner you're back home, the sooner you can forget about all of this. You think at least.

"I'm sorry if I'm boring you," Bruce says as he speeds past a minivan. "You're fine," You reply, bringing your hat lower over your eyes. "Are you sleepy, dear?" The hat hides your eye roll. "Just a bit..." You lift your hat a little bit to see him glancing over.

"I need to decompress from all of this." You whisper. "It's all moving a little too fast." Bruce nods. "We can slow down. I don't want you to feel pressured to do anything. These are my circumstances that you are unfortunately tied to because of me, but I would understand if you decided to not be involved."

You smile, lifting your hat back on your head. "I appreciate your concern, Bruce."

"You are my only concern tonight." He says quickly, his tone still serious. You haven't had time to think about what you should do tonight with him since he carved this alone time for you. Whatever you choose needs to be mind-numbing and allow you to forget whatever you must do.

As soon as you arrive back at the mansion, Bruce's beeper goes off. You both grimace. You thought you had time. "Something must have happened." His eyes meet yours. "I will make it up to you." He kisses your forehead and gently squeezes your hand as you head in.

You try not to feel so relieved as you head up to your room. Alone you can think clearer. You sit on your bed, feeling so heavy. You don't know what to do. Bruce makes you so happy and you can imagine the life you two would have as a married couple, but... The dangers of being his wife, let alone partner as you are now... Your phone buzzes in your pocket and you pull it out unsurprised to see you're tagged in a media post. You see a blue checkmark and decide to look, figuring the pictures are half decent at least.

"Surprise outing from New #ItCouple Bruce Wayne and (Y/N). The two were seen canoodling at tonight's game with matching jerseys with Wayne's last name on both of the jerseys. Is this hinting at their future together? The two were last seen at GCPD Chief James Gordon's inaugural dinner with (Y/N) in a beautiful Zuhair Murad red dress and Bruce Wayne in a classic Tom Ford tuxedo." You pause wondering how they knew all that before going to the comments. Most of them are saying how cute you are. You even have a hashtag now that you think is cringey as you keep scrolling. It is interesting to know you have fans who ask where you got your jeans and hat so they could match you. There are negative comments that are being shut out in real-time as you scroll, careful not to accidentally like anything. They call out Bruce for dating an employee and you being naive or they harp on your looks and not being "beautiful" enough for Bruce. You don't know what you're supposed to look like for them as you sigh. It would only be louder if and when your engagement is announced.