Even If It Hurts

Bruce stands at the foot of your bed, holding his hands as if he's been caught in a lie. He has. He wears a fresh black outfit and looks as if he's just showered. Wash away the evidence of whatever he's done. "(Y/N)..." Your legs give, and you rest against your door frame. He's so quick to your side and guides you to the reading chair. He kneels in front of you, concerned. You wonder if he'll use this against you instead of telling you about his secret.

"Are you okay?" He asks, taking your hands in his cold ones. You nod, your mouth suddenly dry. He brings your palm to his lips, his warm breath across your skin. You want to pull away.

"I'm sorry." He says finally. His remorseful eyes meet yours. "I truly am." He squeezes your hand. You can see his mind working to find the right words. "When you came here, I knew the risks. I knew the risks when I asked you to the Gala. I just didn't know all that would follow. I don't want you to think I lied on purpose. I have a lot of enemies that would love nothing but to hurt anyone I love. When they tried to get me last year, they got Alfred. I took measures to make sure it wouldn't happen again. Until I met you."

He stands, going to your window. "I wanted you. I don't know why. I still don't know. You drive me crazy. You don't listen to me. The way you go about your life your safety is puzzling, but you're still so sweet and caring... You make me want to be a better hero in a sense. Better at being Batman. I didn't see my impact until I met you. You took Wayne Foundations seriously. You took me seriously, even Batman..." He trails off, turning to face you. "But you're my blind spot. When you said you wanted normalcy, I wanted to forget Batman and be with you in this world. But I know the dangers, the bed I made." He's so intense. You can't tear your eyes from him. Only listen.

"My father lost his life because he loved my mother. I thought it was a careless decision that led me here. But then I see you..." You want to reach for him, bring him closer. You wipe away stray tears, feeling a headache coming. You've cried too much today. "Maybe I'm selfish, wanting to keep you here, keep you from your family, keep you from everyone. I know you're safer here. I can control what others can do here." He lets out a deep exhale, touching his chest. "I would do anything for you. To make you happy, make you want to stay with me no matter what." He trails off, crossing the room.

"I love you."

Your eyes widen at the statement, blinking hard. Love? Love?? You can't imagine loving someone after a week of them living with you. You remember Lucy's comment earlier, knowing his infatuation most likely came before he set foot in your office that day. "I care for you so deeply," He confesses, kneeling in front of you again. "I apologize I didn't tell you earlier. I didn't think my feelings would be this strong. And I didn't expect Harvey to turn on me, on Gotham." Your hands go to his cheeks. You wonder how long he has been holding on to this. You want to say it back. Your heart wants you to. You hold it back, bringing his face up to yours. "Thank you," is all you can say before pressing your lips against his.

He pulls away, his hands resting in your lap. You're still speechless. You aren't expecting a love confession. His hand brushes your cheek, but he makes no moves to claim your mouth. He only stares. You stare back, taking in his features for the first time. His light blue eyes pierce your gaze, brown eyebrows low. You always liked his nose and how it reminds you of a Greco-Roman bust, fitting for the heir of an empire. His mouth is tense, waiting for your reply. You blink, realizing he's studying you as much as you are him. Your eyes fall to your lap, hands suddenly sweaty. You purse your lips together, looking back up at him.

"I have so many questions. I don't know where even to start." You say, biting your lip. He rests back on his legs. "You can ask me whatever you wish."

"Is Harvey gone?" You ask first. He grimaces. "Gone from the hospital. However, I don't know his alliance with Tommy and Canes. I'm looking into it." It's not a satisfying answer, but you know it's the truth. "I was met with dead ends when I followed them after leaving here. Everyone at the hospital is fine. The amount of gas we were exposed to will cause minimal damage, if at all, physically. But, of course, there will be mental repercussions," he pauses, frowning. "I wish I could have saved Harvey." He admits softly. "I was here when I should have been patrolling. I arrived too late." He stands, sighing. "What else do you want to know?"

"Why are you the Batman? Why didn't you tell me earlier? I wouldn't tell anyone. I've kept up with my secrecy with staying here. I haven't told anyone anything besides the minimum to keep my loved ones at bay." The questions spill out before you can reconsider asking in a nonaccusatory way. He sucks his teeth, looking up at the ceiling. He rests against your ottoman. "I witnessed my parents' murder. I didn't want anyone to go through the same hurt like me. Alfred trained me. I went to school and learned about engineering to make Batman better. I am still learning how to make an impact. You know that. I tried to use myself, Bruce Wayne, as another facet for good with Wayne Foundations. I fear I've done more harm than good every time I try. However, I am only in my third year, so Alfred tells me not to be too harsh. It is difficult, however." His shoulders slump, and he closes his eyes. "I didn't tell you because I was scared you would leave. This isn't normal. I know that. The fact you aren't running away and are asking me questions makes me feel better. I'm sorry you had to find out through the others. They told me I should have told you as soon as I brought you here as Batman. It was wrong of me to mislead you." You try to stand, and he quickly comes to your side.

"I'm fine." You grimace. "I'm a little tipsy," you confess as he helps you up. "Tipsy?" He asks, alarmed. "I had only one drink with Jacques. Please don't yell at him. It was my fault." He searches your face, checking for any harm done. "I'm just hungry now. I haven't eaten all day." You add, pulling your face from his grip. His hand travels to your shoulders. "Is there anything else you want to know before we go for dinner?" He wants you to say it back, but you can't bring yourself to do it.

"Why do you love me? We've only talked for a week." His eyes race across your face. "You are so interesting. I tell you I love you, and you ask me why after telling you." Your brows knit together. "I just want to understand. I don't want you to be angry with me because I like you too. I don't know if it's love considering everything over the past week. I don't want to feel forced to love you." You explain, staring at his black tee shirt. "I want to love you without these pretenses."

It's fair. You don't want to feel like you love Bruce because you've only spent time with him. You feel his disappointment, but he nods. "I understand." He touches your cheek again. This time you lean into his touch. He presses his lips against your forehead, holding you close.

Bruce Wayne loves you. Hell, Batman loves you. Maybe you can love him. Perhaps you could be his. Your arms wrap around his waist, his warmth and scent filling you.

Maybe you already do.