Pour Maman

It's almost noon when you wake up. You reach for your phone, eyes barely open, when you see the text from your mom. She asked what time and then called and then sent more texts. You barely type for her to head over when she pings you that she's here. You sit up quickly, ice in your veins. You don't have any time to get dressed. You look down, and embarrassment takes over. You forgot you fell asleep naked. You hurry to your closet and pick the first couple of clothes your hands can find on your side: a burnt orange sweatshirt and black skirt. It's not terrible, but you hope it looks like maybe you put some effort into your look, not that you barely are awake. You hear the faint footsteps of Lucy as you shimmy the skirt over your hips. Before Lucy knocks, you check yourself in the floor-length mirror, quickly running your fingers through your hair for any bed hair.

"Ah, Miss (Y/N). I'm glad you're awake. Your mum is here. Just as glamorous as you." She says with a wink. "Oh, okay. Thank you. Did Bruce invite her?" You ask nervously.

The older woman nods. "Yes. Your mother was texting both of you, but you slept through it. Bruce did not and told her she could come now. I hope that's okay." You nod faintly, "Makes sense." You lower your voice, "Is she upset?"

Lucy raises her eyebrow, considering you. "No, but she ought to be. Alfred told me about your shenanigans last night. I didn't think you had it in you, but going to the Iceberg Lounge was an idiotic decision. You're lucky that That Penguin fellow didn't see you and seize an opportunity."

Your eyes cast to the floor. "You're right, Miss Lucy."

She laughs at the title, "Miss Lucy, am I now? Well, no more keeping your mother waiting. She brought Richard too, but I'm afraid Bruce has whisked him away." You grimace but fix your face. "Okay."

You lock your arms with her as you leave your room. "You can also help me pick the dress too. It's not going to be a big formal event like the Gala, but I feel like I'll have more eyes on me now." She gives a firm nod.

Your mother sits on the bench near the wall, taking everything in. Her (E/C) eyes meet yours, filled with wonder. "No wonder you don't answer my calls. You're living lavishly." She looks your outfit over, a frown tugging at her lips.

"I just woke up," you say with a quick smile.

"I can tell, my love. Bruce barely spoke to me, by the way. He only introduced himself again, said he was happy to see me and then took off with the boy." Mentally you roll your eyes. "I think he didn't want to step on any proverbial toes."

You take her hand in yours before hugging her. It's been so long since you've seen her. You practically melt into her arms, tears welling in your eyes. You keep it together, sniffing quickly. "I'm so glad you could make it. I'm sorry I didn't text the address sooner. It's been a lot adjusting, but I think I'm okay." Your mom wipes her eyes when she pulls away, searching your face. "I just want to know if you're okay. It's been a lot these past weeks. Your father and I trust you're making the right decisions, but the news can be scary." You nod, understanding, before stepping back. "Well, let's look to the future." You gesture to the stairs, allowing her to go first.

You see a glimpse of Richard and Bruce in the living room, a smile on Bruce's lips. Your eyes meet, and you hurry up the stairs, leading your mother and Lucy to your room.

Lucy quickly straightens your bed sheets and duvet covers and picks up your clothes as you usher your mom to the expansive closet. You feel bad that she has to clean up after you, but you were blindsided still. Your mother stands in awe of the size before scoffing. "You know when we found the new house, the agent said it was the biggest walk in, but this walk in has to be a whole 'nother room."

You chuckle, putting your arm on her shoulder. "Yeah, I know." She laughs incredulously before pulling out a shimmery silver mermaid dress. "This is pretty." She runs her hands over the fabric.