A Dream With A Baseball Player

You burst into your room, sniffling, wiping your eyes. Why didn't Bruce tell you? You wouldn't tell anyone. You rest on the edge of your bed, mind reeling. The signs are all there--how he leaves at all times and knows so much about the city without researching online. The secret rooms that you still haven't found but exist. You feel lied to. He could have told you last night. He could have told you at your apartment. Instead, he referred to Bruce as a separate person and called you Bruce's girlfriend. Are you his girlfriend in his mind? Why was he so mad this morning then? Maybe because as Batman, it wouldn't have made sense. You touch your temples, feeling so overwhelmed. How did Alfred let him become Batman? It seems so extreme to turn to this. Turn to this violent vigilante to save this city.

You lie on your bed, pulling out your phone. You mindlessly check your notifications. It's nothing out of your ordinary. Your parents are demanding you leave Wayne Tower and come home, friends checking in, the news and tags. Your stomach flips as you check the hashtag #GGHBombing. The videos are sickening, still more hysteria. As you scroll, you see him. He's helping people calm down as he's trying to go upstairs with the police. The video ends, and you replay it. You see it now that jawline the way he holds himself. How did you not know?

"im okay. stay in! i don't know what's going on anymore *sad face emoji*" You text to your friends, letting out a breath. You know they will stay in, but you want to rant. How can you rant without giving away who Batman is? You don't know. You don't know if you should be angry. He never did anything to hurt you. If anything, you're worried sick about his wellbeing. It could quickly turn into his demise. You look at your newest paps pictures. You both look grim at the hospital, but the look you give him when he holds you close. You bite your lip to keep from crying. It's written all over your face. Even now, far away.

A text from your friend obscures your view. "girl. ur telling us when we literally haven't heard from u in a week! wtf!" You frown. How will you integrate back into your life separate from Bruce Wayne after this? You try to think of the previous love interests of Bruce Wayne but can't think of any public ones. You only know people love Batman from a random late-night search, and you found adult parodies. You wonder if Bruce knows about them. You make a face, getting back to your original train of thought. "im okay trust me. i can't explain bc things keep happening *hurricane emoji* ill try to explain when i can. eta tbd" You can imagine the FaceTime call with your friends yelling at your disappearance but begging to see Bruce. You let out a sigh as they react. You wipe your eyes again. Come on, Bruce, come home now.

There's a soft knock on your door. You sit up as Lucy enters. "Sorry for not waiting. I wanted to check on you." You sniff, and she hands you a tissue. She sits next to you on your bed and lets out a breath. "Well, today is a day, isn't it?" You don't reply, looking at the door. "Bruce should have explained it to you as soon as you moved in. We told him to, but he wanted to keep you safe. He believed if you knew, you would tell people. You don't seem like the type." Lucy reasons. "He does care about you, (Y/N). Don't let his alter ego make you think he doesn't." She pauses, thinking. "He hired you, you know. Alfred wasn't going to. He said you lacked experience, but Bruce wouldn't hear it. He loved your answers and told Alfred that you were exactly what he looked for. We, of course, thought it was for the Foundation." Lucy shrugs, continuing in her usual storytelling mode. "He had this room fixed up only a few months before the Gala. I asked him, 'Bruce are you going to have guests?' And he only laughed at me. I hadn't seen him laugh in months. And then he came and told me he asked you to the Gala and stressed how perfect it needed to go." She chuckles, "He didn't go to any school dances, always with Alfred. So Dory and I jumped at the chance. Of course, we did. I was so excited when I saw you. I thought, maybe you could make him stop being Batman, but then everything happened. You confirmed Batman when he saved you that night. I hear your arguments, but nothing will change his mind." Lucy purses her lips together. "He hears you but believes that if he isn't Batman, he won't be able to save people and, through saving others, save you."