Chapter 2 Encounter with a (self-proclaimed) god

It was a strange space, both bright and dark.

 The vision was filled with a colour that was neither black nor white, yet not grey, and it was impossible to distinguish between heaven and earth or to grasp space.

 For many years, he was an assassin by profession, and in his later years he spent his days adventuring with other heroes, mastering the art of scouting.

 Even with my perceptive abilities, I can't grasp the situation at all.

"'H-h-h-roo!"

"Who are you?"

Suddenly a spaced-out voice is heard.

 I skip who or what the voice is, but cannot discern where it is echoing from.

 But the other party of the voice appears in front of me on its own.

 A small figure appears in front of me as if it is breaking through a cloud of black and white.

 Even though it is standing right in front of me, I cannot sense its presence at all.

 No, on the contrary, I only know that it is a woman, but I cannot distinguish her face at all.

 I can see her face. Silver hair, red eyes, shiny white skin. But I cannot identify them in combination.

''Who are you, ......?''

"'Is it me? I am God."

He said so in a voice that sounded completely devoid of dignity, despite calling himself a god.

 No, even the quality of his voice is not memorable. I only know that it is a beautiful voice, but it doesn't leave an impression.

'What does this mean? Why can't you remember ......?"

'Oh, that? It's my fault. I'm a god, after all. If I look directly at him, it's a SAN check, isn't it?"

" San ...... what?"

' Never mind, it's over here. I mean, you can just assume that I'm blocking your perception that way.'

' 'And this space?'

'Well, of course.'

I was confronted by a being who claimed to be God and was prevented from recognising him.

 I somehow decided to believe in that fact, which I normally would not trust a shred of.

 I was on the verge of death, after all.

 After death, it would not be surprising if I met God.

''So you're sure I'm dead?''

'N, yes, I suppose so. Definitely, completely, beyond doubt, more than ever, completely dead!'

'...you might not have wanted me to make that assertion.'

 Maria, a former companion, would be able to use enough healing magic to restore her, if not kill her.

 But raising the dead is designated a forbidden art and is sealed off.

 She said that the soul is constantly circulating and that the doctrine does not allow it to be unnaturally retained.

 And Maria does not know the technique. In other words, it was impossible for me to come back to life.

'Well, that means I'm going back into the circle of souls, too.'

Well, you could say that.

 Kami dances and twirls, chirping happily.

 But the lines coming from it gave a sense of deep meaning.

What is it? What's that thing you said that sounds like it could resuscitate me?

'As a matter of fact, resuscitation is impossible. But that doesn't mean there aren't other means. You have some very capable colleagues.'

What?"

 As I put a question mark on my face, Kami put his hand over his mouth and gave a muffled, unpleasant laugh.

No, nothing. I can only tell you one thing.

'What's that?'

'Welcome to new horizons! Let's give them a welcome, and a big one at that!"

Huh?"

 I was speechless when Kami blurted out something so out of the blue.

 But right after that, I suddenly feel dizzy and my eyes go completely black.

 I don't know whether I was standing or sitting up, but my vision starts to marble, as if milk had been dripped into a cup of aromatic tea.

'Hey, what's that?'

'It looks like the art has begun by now. No, I like this kind of backdoor poking around, too.'

'So what the hell is going on!

'You're going back to the world you came from. Well, I did mess with the success rate a little bit."

So--"

Oh, and while we're on the subject of interference, there's one more thing.

 A self-proclaimed god who keeps muttering unintelligible things.

 My consciousness stopped there and I sank into the darkness.