Chapter 34 - Discomfort in the City

After my magic test was over, I was treated to a sweet pastry with plenty of sugar with Michelle.

 Apparently, this was unusual behaviour for Maxwell, and he must have been excited to care for me.

 I wonder if I'm being treated like a relative's child by all my old friends?

 Sweet treats have always been a hidden favourite of mine from a previous life, so I was grateful to receive them here. I've seen the happy faces of Finia and Michelle, and I'll praise Maxwell for a job well done for a prankster.

 Such a face, especially from Finia, is in a way a rarity. She's not exactly unsociable either, but her expression is hard. She used to be so cute.

 After Cortina and Maxwell had discussed my upbringing policy and life at one point, we decided to break up for the day.

 As we leave Maxwell's mansion, Maxwell himself calls out to us.

'Cortina, I'm sorry, but I need to have a word with you. Would you stay here for a moment?"

'What? You want me to send these girls home alone?"

'That's part of it, but it's 'the thing'.

'--That's all well and good, but ...... isn't it even more dangerous for her to be alone then?'

'You should be able to get to your house. It's not that far and there's still pedestrian traffic.'

 Maxwell, who tells us this with a mysterious expression on his face, does not have the same good-natured air he had earlier.

 In response, Cortina turns back towards us.

'I'm sorry, but could you go home first? Here are the keys to the house."

'Eh, ah ...... hi?'

'There's a problem in town at the moment, and I'm here to discuss it. So I can't talk to outsiders. ......"

'Oh, I see. I understand!"

 Even if they are two of the country's most important figures. No, they are heavyweights in the world. Cortina's position is only that of a teacher, but she is still highly respected personally.

 It must be quite disturbing for these two to be shutting out outsiders and talking to each other.

 Finia and I didn't bring that much luggage with us, but Michelle-chan has brought enough to make the move worthwhile.

 Unlike me, who is used to travelling, she has to build her living environment from scratch, so it's no surprise.

 On the way back home, Finia and Michelle are excitedly expressing their impressions of the real faces of the heroes they came into contact with up close.

 The people in our village have a tolerance for heroic admiration because of the presence of Lyell and Maria,......, but the situation just now was one in which an ordinary person would have had a stroke.

 Of course, the inhabitants of this city may also have such a tolerance as long as they have two heroes.

'But I'm glad that both Maxwell-sama and Cortina-sama are kinder than I thought...'

'Yes, I do,' he said. You are both really approachable. I thought you would be more respectful.'

I'm going to learn a lot of things from you, Cortina. It's exciting!

'Yes. I'd like to ask you a lot of questions about the past too.'

 Finia, you mainly want to ask about me, don't you?

'But then, Lady Cortina and Master Reid...' I have a feeling there's a romance on the horizon!

'Really? As for me, I'm a bit--"

 Unlike Michelle, who is looking forward to the heroic tale in a good-natured way, Finia cannot hide her shock at the fact that the man she loves has a girlfriend.

 Well, I still hate Cortina.

 But at the same time, Finia and Michelle have become just as important to me.

 Seven years have passed since they were born. If it's just the length of time we've known each other, it's comparable to Cortina - we're family.

' ...... Oh my?"

 It was that finia that switched such a buoyant mood.

'Hmm, what's wrong, Finia?'

'Yes, I just ...... no, I'm sure it was just my imagination.'

What?"

 Finia tilts her head slightly, as if to say she is a little concerned.

 The street is evening. The street is crowded and wagons are constantly moving back and forth.

 Some of the wagons were carrying thick timber, and it was so noisy that if you weren't careful you could get jumped.

'No, it was a carriage that just passed by, but ...... I thought I heard something echoing.'

'Sounding?'

'Yeah, kind of like a musical instrument.'

 Then he wiggles his long ears. The gesture is cute, like a small animal.

 Elves have large ears and are sensitive to sound. Many of them have made use of this ability to pursue a career in music.

 They are so-called bards.

' That's ...... something to be concerned about, isn't it?"

 The wagons that just passed by us were meant to carry thick timber.

 The royal city of Raum, surrounded by forests, is frequently visited by wagons carrying this kind of timber. Forestry is also a major industry in this country.

 But that's beside the point: it sounds like a musical instrument,......, which means that the inside of the wood has been hollowed out or something of that ilk?

 If so, I was a bit curious too as to why they would do that.

'I'm going to go and have a look around. Finia, can you send little Michelle home?"

'Oh, hey, Nicole-sama'!

I'm coming with you.

'No, Michelle, no. We need to make sure you're ready to move out."

Aww ......"

 Michelle's moving luggage is also present.

 She's not used to travelling with minimal luggage like I am.

 It is the same for Finia.

'You have a lot of luggage too, don't you Finia? If you don't unpack quickly, you won't have anywhere to sleep today, will you?'

'Ugh, but that's the same for you, Nicole-sama. ......'

'And I only need a sleeping bag'.

 Having said all that, I followed the wagon.

 I had just arrived in this town and I still had to sort out my luggage.

 Still, the usual Finia would have followed me. But now Michelle is there too.

 As long as I'm taking care of someone else's child, I have to deliver her to her parents.

 Because of this, she was stuck.

 I took advantage of the situation and blended in with the bustle.

 This is just my hunch, but I had a disturbing feeling.