Chapter 36: Sabotage.

Anyway, we got back to where the carriage was parked and I racked my brains.

 Originally, I would inform the guards and ask them to capture him. Or, if I informed Cortina or Maxwell, they would be able to take them down without any problem.

 But there doesn't seem to be time to do that.

 They said they would leave the city just before the gates closed. There are only a few minutes left before the gates close.

 Even if I were to sneak them out, I can't open the coffin with my arms.

 It would be next to impossible to rescue them on my own.

 Then, do I defeat them?

 That is also quite difficult. There were three of them. I might be able to take one of them by surprise, but with my current physical abilities, it would be very difficult to take more than that.

' Then there's only one thing I can do: ......' ......

 They leave the city at nightfall because that's when the gatekeepers are less watchful.

 In other words, they are not doing enough to embrace the guards.

 If that is the case, then they will hesitate to leave when the watch is tightened.

 And once the gates are closed, they won't be able to leave the city until the next morning, giving them time to report back to Cortina.

'Break the wagons. That will buy us some time."

 This is such a large tree - hollowed out inside - but it must still weigh a lot.

 If the carriage that is currently loaded is broken, it will have to be reloaded onto another carriage, which, if done by three people, will not be possible in time for the closing time.

 And the next morning, merchants would be coming and going from the morning, so they would avoid that time.

 In other words, if they can get through now, they can buy time until tomorrow evening.

 Of course, if I take over the carriage and leave this place, I can easily settle the matter, but the truth is that I can't operate a carriage.

 I can ride a horse, but when it comes to a two-horse cart, I wasn't confident at all.

 Besides, the men would run away if I just took the wagon.

 I looked around and found a hanging machete, which had been left unattended.

 Also known as an eel machete, it is a blade with an L-shaped curved tip.

 Probably a tool needed for regular work. It would be used to cut the ropes that hold them in place, or to hook and pull on the wood.

'Is this all you have? At least if I'd brought my katana--'

 They were not armed as they originally planned to just visit Maxwell's.

 But even this could be sabotaged. First of all, it would take time just to cut the ropes holding the 'coffin' in place and then to re-secure it.

 But that is not enough. We need to inflict more time-consuming damage.

 So I got under the coach and started to remove the metal fittings that hold the axle in place.

 If the axle comes off, it won't be able to run for long and will be visibly faulty.

 I need to start the work of replacing it immediately, which should buy me a great deal of time.

 The tip of the sledge hooked onto the fittings and started to pull it off by gouging it out.