Chapter 41 - Cleaning up afterwards

Anyway, we have to clean up the mess.

 We can't leave these elf children here forever, and there must still be three of them hidden in the timber.

'Oh yes, can you go and get one of the guards? I'm already limping."

'Ah, yes. Where are those children?"

'The girl who was taken by kidnappers. I have to keep an eye on these children too."

'Oh, so she was kidnapped. ......'

"'What did you think it was?'

'I don't know what it was, but I thought he was a bad guy who was picking on Nicole.'

 Don't point such an ultimate weapon at people with 'I don't know what it is'!

 I secretly shuddered at Michelle's behaviour, which in a way was merciless.

'And anyway, that's why I'd appreciate it if you'd go and get someone for me.'

'Yeah, I'll tell the guards and also my sister Finia and ...... Lady Cortina' ......!

''Oh, hey ......''

 Wait, if Finia is informed in this injured state, she'll cry again.

 I tried to get up to stop Michelle-chan, but my legs, which had lost their strength, wouldn't listen to me.

 In the blink of an eye, she ran out of my sight.

 I'm so jealous of her energy. ......

 Later, the town guards and Maxwell came and protected us.

 I fell asleep from exhaustion right after I told them what happened, but the next time I woke up, I woke up in Cortina's house.

 Apparently, my position as Maxwell's acquaintance and Lyell's daughter freed me from the persistent questioning.

 I heard indirectly from Maxwell that there had been abductions targeting elves in this town for some time, and that the two of them had been sent out to investigate.

 Finia tactfully sensed something was wrong there, and that's why I got on board, not knowing what was going on.

 Fortunately, I was unharmed, but it seems they were quite dangerous.

 But my problem was something else.

'Oh my God, really! Master Nicole gets herself involved in dangerous things as soon as I take my eyes off her!"

'No, I'm sorry. But I didn't think it was that dangerous.'

' 'How did you end up fighting in the first place? Why didn't you just run away?"

"'No, they took me hostage and I couldn't get away,'

''Nicole-sama is more important than all those people,''

'No, no, no, Finia? Some of the children kidnapped were the daughters of prominent aristocrats, so let's not get carried away there, okay?"

 Cortina intercedes for Finia, who is angry and lecturing me.

 But even her rescuer looks at me curiously and scornfully.

''But still, you're a bit of a rascal, aren't you, Nicole, to be fighting off kidnappers all by your lonesome, aren't you, despite appearances''.

'That's it. Whenever I take my eyes off her, she disappears somewhere."

''I have a freedom mentality''.

 While being made to sit upright, she shows her chest out in declaration, but as expected, she is not dignified.

 And it may be a bad habit of mine from my previous life to try to short-circuit things in the face of evil.

 If I kept eliminating bad guys with this short-sightedness, before I knew it I had made a name for myself as an assassin.

'There may have been other ways to do it,' he says. I regret that."

''Yes, we intend to deal with the situation as positively as possible.''

''What's with that bureaucratic language, ......?''

'Hahaha, this girl's got her head on a swivel. Is she like Maria?'

 Cortina pats me on the back and is happy.

 This guy has the ease characteristic of the cat people, so she doesn't think too many tails.

'Alright, let's all take a bath together here and let Nicole-chan tell us her saga.'

'Lady Cortina, even for me, I'm not so sure about this one. ......

'Well, I can go on with the saga of the past, can't I?'

'Now, let's talk about the time you broke Maria's favourite cup and secretly buried it in the garden and hid it--'

''How did you know about that!''

 I would have acted with great caution and precaution that time, in fear of Maria's thunder.

 And you think that amateur Finia saw through my traces?

'I was tending to the garden and found traces of soil that had been unnaturally dug up'.

''Ugh.''

'Ahahahahaha, really Nicole is a yankee. It's going to be fun from now on!'

 As cat people, who are cheerful by nature, the liveliness is probably a welcome thing.

 I, for my part, would have preferred to concentrate on my training quietly at an early age.

 Cortina carries me to the bathroom.

 This is how my life in Raum, which has been tumultuous from the start, began.