Chapter 14

D A M I A N O

I take her to the guest room and place her carefully on the bed. She rolls to her side, I pull the blanket over her and she curls like a caterpillar.

I smile and watch her for a while, Stephen knocks on the door, I look up at him.

"Stop." He walks to me. "You're falling." He says concerned, I nod, glance at her, then walk past him outside. He follows and shuts the door behind him.

We walk to the balcony, the moon is crescent. "I can't. Stop." I say leaning on the wall while looking up at the sky, "She feels like what I've been missing."

"She can't become yours."

"I know." I close my eyes, just the thought of letting her go makes my heart pull on all ways. It sucks. She's an innocent being, knowing nothing of the world I belong to. But she can fight pretty well, I'm curious about a lot of things when it comes to her.

Stephen hands me a glass if whiskey, I take it, "Any news of the Varóns?" I ask, he shakes his head.

"They are laying low."

"Or maybe in disguise, just like us?"

He nods thinking, "I want them dead, every single one."

"They will be soon. I'll bath with their blood." I clench my teeth to the point they hurt.

"Isn't it weird that there is not a single female Varón. Is that genetically possible?" He sucks on his ice.

I shake my head, "They kill the females before they are born. They don't entertain weakness."

"So the curse is true?"

I shrug, "That's what I've heard."

My phone vibrates, I answer the call from Trevor.

'You won't believe what I just found.' The excitement in his voice is undeniable.

I look at Stephen who walks to me, I put the phone on speaker.

"What did you find?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath, the air gets thicker around us. My body shudders with excitement as I hear his next words, the Varón's end is near.

'We've found a female Varón.'

CHAPTER 14{WET ON THE BEACH}

CHAPTER 14
{WET ON THE BEACH}

I stretch my arms and look around, the room is unfamiliar but I know where I am. I sit up and grab my phone, the tracker on Damiano's watch says he's not in the house.