t h i r t y f o u r

June 7th 2017
Avengers Compound

"What are you pacing for?" Bucky asked, eyeing up his best friend, who was about to wear out the compound floor with how long he had been pacing back and forth for the past twenty-five minutes.

"Ross." Steve answered plainly, his pacing continued.

"I told Tony to just bribe him with a few mil and to get on with it." Ember said as she slumped in a chair in the corner.

"Tonys in there with Ross?"

Ember nodded.

"There's not a Sokovia accord part two, is there? Cause I don't really wanna beat up that spider kid again." Bucky sat on a chair across from Ember.

"He's telling him about Em."

"Ohhhhhh." The realisation hit Bucky.

"Still stand with the should've bribed him thing."

"Yeah I'm with Em, give the dick some money and let Ember stay."

Ember frowned, "Let Ember stay?" She let out a low laugh, "You think he's gonna ship me off to the raft or something?"

Her comment was supposed to be sarcastic. But watching Bucky and Steve visibly stiffen worried her.

"What?" She asked them, concerned, "I'm not going to the raft? Right? I can't go to the raft— Steve we've talked about this— They don't treat you like like human— Oh god I can't go to the raft."

Her mind was spiralling. What else hasn't they told her? Was she going to be sent away? She and Steve were doing great right now, she thought Steve would probably be okay with a long distance relationship, but not if his girlfriend was in fucking jail.

"Em, Em."

Steve stopped pacing and ran over to her. It wasn't often she let herself panic, and the few times he had seen her get worked up like this was when she spoke about the raft. He knew it was his worst fear.

"I'm not gonna let that happen, okay?" Steve said softly, his hands on her arms and their foreheads almost touching, "Do you trust me?"

Ember nodded.

"Then you trust I won't let anything bad happen to you. You're not the villain, Ember."

"Yeah, nothin' will happen." Bucky spoke up from his chair in the corner. He was feeling like a third wheel, he was trying to be helpful.

"If something does happen I'm coming back to punch you both in the face."

Bucky grimaced, he had seen her punch, he didn't like the sound of that. He took his phone out of his pocket and pretended to look at his non existent texts messages.

"I gotta go—"

"Hot date?" Ember teased.

"Always."

Bucky left the room with a joke salute.

"I—"

Steve was interrupted by the doors slamming open.

"Ember Rose."

Secretary Ross came striding out of the double doors, Tony behind him. She couldn't read any of Ross' features, but Tony looked as if he was about to shit in his pants.

"Nice suit." Ember replied.

Ross raised an eyebrow, "Thank you?"

Tony and Steve exchanged worried glances. Tony looked guilty, and Steve was glaring at him.