The Covid Diaries II

day three (continued)

meredith's POV:

How she got the tissue in the box, I will never know. She wasn't athletic, far from it if her petite frame and slim body were anything to go by, but somehow she had the gift of aim. As if she were a champion marksman, my little itty bitty girl always hit her target.

First the stop sign, and now this. I was falling more and more in love with her every single day; she constantly amazed me.

"That" she stated plainly "was a complete stroke of luck" she grinned ear to ear, her azure eyes gleamed with glee as I did my absolute best (while failing, I could tell) to bite back a smile. She always thought my childish antics were somewhat stupid, but nonetheless she participated for my sake.

And somehow she managed to always win, despite not being nearly as invested as I was.

"Okay, how about this one" I say, a smirk erupting from my face. She turned her attention to my eyes, still smirking with victory as she trained her eyes on my lips, awaiting what I had planned next.

"if I make this one, you have to say yes to whatever I ask you" I was attempting to make this more interesting, raising the stakes a little.

But she had no clue what that meant.

addison's POV:

"If I make this one, you have to say yes to whatever I ask you" her smirk reminded me of a child on the playground, finally getting exactly what they'd wanted. Mischievously, she all but rubbed her hands together deviously.

"Alright" I say finally, daringly, accepting the challenge. "I accept" I knew she wouldn't get it in; she had too many bad shots for me to actually believe she'd get this one in. Tissue after tissue had landed at my feet, far more tissues than in a box.

In my mind, I was safe.

"No backsies either" she warned, as she crumpled up her tissue in preparation, knuckles white as she gripped the Kleenex as hard as she could "Once I throw it, you can't change your mind" the taunting tone she used only made me more determined; a bet was a bet and I'd be damned before I'd back down now.

But of course, I also couldn't help but giggle at how she was making it sound like I was selling my soul to the devil or something. A bet with Meredith Grey wouldn't be anything close to a deal with the devil, despite her various daunting warnings.

"I'm positive, now throw the damn tissue Miss Big Shot" I retorted, trying to hide my smile. I didn't think she'd get it; she hadn't thus far. My girl was not athletic in the slightest, but what she lacked in skill she made up for in determination.

She winked, and my heart skipped a beat. Those eyes of hers were ones I knew I'd always melt for, even a glance had never failed to make me weak in the knees.

I never knew someone could ever make me feel the way she does; even at my age, it was a brand new feeling. Instead of being a person, I was a woman, and she treated me like it. The fire that burned within her fingertips was a fire she'd lit to keep me warm, so even on the coldest days I'd remember who I was and what I was worth.

Without another word from her nor I, she lifted her arm and gripped the tissues, curling her thin fingers around them. For dramatic effect, she rolled her arm around a couple of times as if she were pitching baseball, and then let it fly.

Imagine my surprise when it landed cleanly in the tissue box without so much as bouncing off of the side.

The air was quiet for a moment, thick with disbelief and shock. She had finally, finally, won at her own game.