I fucked up

Shoutout to all the people who have ever told me I look 'too straight' to like girls. Fuck you, and thanks for your unwanted opinion on how I look and how I dress. This chapter is dedicated to you assholes.

Valentine's Day was always a wonderful day at Seattle Grace hospital. Between the burns from romantic candles gone haywire, injuries from vigorous sex, punches thrown by women led astray and the odd grand gesture gone completely wrong, the ER was always full of interesting surgical cases which, of course, put all the doctors in good moods.

Little jokes went about the hospital, sending each other little valentines and flowers and secret admirer poems. Everybody had a date, and everybody seemed to be more in love than ever. Everyone had someone, and there was no shortage of valentines being sent around confessing undying love, secret feelings that would never be revealed on any normal day.

Indeed, Valentine's Day brought out the feeling in everybody's hearts.

Meredith Grey, in particular, was one of the only single people on this Valentine's Day. After her amicable split with Derek, and his newfound love with Rose the scrub nurse, Meredith had been contemplating her life decisions while admiring one Addison Montgomery for months. Secret feelings, so it seemed, were plentiful among even the darkest and twistiest of doctors.

Everyone in Meredith's immediate friend group had an idea that Meredith was head over heels for Doctor Montgomery; between the doting heart eyes and the distracted looks and fairway glances when Addison would enter a room, it was more than obvious that Meredith was all but madly in love with this fiery, sexy red head.

"I fucked up" Alex Karev declared, on this same Valentine's Day, placing his tray down at a table in the cafeteria where Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang both resided.

Cristina rose one perfectly waxed eyebrow. "What did you do now, dumbass"

Alex smirks "I sent Montgomery a Valentine's Day card-" He was cut off by Cristina smacking him as hard as her tiny body could muster.

Meredith, on the other hand, looked like she'd seen a ghost. Pale faced and nervous looking, she almost looked like she'd pass out. "Why would you do that, Alex?" She asks him, anger creeping into her tone. She hadn't outright told anyone about her feelings for Addison, but she didn't think Alex would try to get with her.

Flashes of Alex's wedding to Addison went through Meredith's head and she almost wanted to punch him.

"Not from me" Alex finishes "Jesus Yang, you pack a punch. You're really gonna wanna hit me now" he says, about to explain the rest of his supposed 'fuck up', just as Addison herself storms into the cafeteria, guns a blazing, clutching a Valentine's Day card.

"Grey, what the hell is this?"

All of the puzzle pieces seemed to click together at that exact moment, with Addison's face matching her hair and her nostrils flaring in anger.

Meredith clenched her teeth and narrowed her eyes into a glare at Alex "Alex, I'm gonna fuckin' kill you" she growls, not even making eye contact with Addison (who was all but in her face).

"What the hell, Alex?" Cristina smacks him even harder, causing him to wince in pain "you fucking moron! Are you dense or just a jackass?"

"What the hell is going on?" Addison throws the card onto the table "I received a valentine in my cubby today in the attendings lounge addressed from Meredith Grey. What kind of joke is this?"

"Alex sent it to you because he thought it would be fun if I decided to strangle him" Meredith says, still gritting her teeth in anger. She was mortally embarrassed, having the one person she seemed to be so infatuated with, standing right in front of her angry as hell over a card.