Well this is just great

I personally would like to say this oneshot makes my top three. My all time favourites are 'no eating in my car', 'what are you doing?, and 'well this is just great'. I love this, I love the spin on it I took and how it still completely caught the essence and love of Meredith and Addison. I love it. I hope you all love it too ❤️~Daisy

"Meredith you have the worst fucking luck" Cristina sighed, as we waited on the side of the road next to my car.

"We have the worst luck" I correct her "we both seem to be magnets for bad luck lately, and this is the fucking cherry on the goddamn cake!" I groan, rubbing my forehead in discontent. Today of all days was not a day to bust a flat on the side of the road.

"Call the hospital and ask how she is, don't let her know we're broken down I don't want to worry her. Just say we're stuck in traffic or something" I tell Cristina, as I look for any sign of the tow truck we'd called earlier.

Today, of all days, was not a good day to break down. Any other day would be mildly acceptable, but today was just a cruel fucking trick.

Cristina and I were out of town, we had been called for a surgery in Spokane and would be there for the weekend. Of course, the day we were supposed to come home, I got a call from Addison, my lovely wife and love my love. She needed us to come home right away, and despite being five hours away and it being three am when she called, we threw our clothes back into our bags and all but jumped in the car.

Addison was in labor with our first baby.

And I was about to miss it, stuck on the side of the road about an hour from the hospital. We'd been driving already for four hours, nonstop driving with no breaks or intermissions, we drove as fast as we could. It helped that there wasn't much traffic due to the early hours, but once seven am hit, all the morning traffic began to show and we hit a rock in the road that busted our tire.

"I just called" Cristina walked back towards me "they said she's doing good, only another couple of hours to go. Three max. Callie's with her, holding her hand" Cristina tried to reassure me, but it wasn't helping.

"I should be the one holding her hand" I protest "I should be there to tell her how great she's doing and how beautiful our baby is gonna be. I never should've left for Spokane, it's too far out and I knew it" I can't even comprehend the idea that my baby would be born without me there. I didn't want to think about it.

"This is just great" I groan "fan-fucking-tastic"

"Hey" Cristina said with a frown "she's only thirty five weeks, you had a good month before she was supposed to go into labor. The baby is super early, and nobody could've guessed that. It was a two day trip, two days for your career when you thought you had a whole month before the baby would be here"

Logically I knew Cristina was right, but I was so upset it was hard to think straight. The baby would be here in a matter of hours, and I still wasn't there.

"It's only an hour away" I reminded myself "only another hour. We've got lots of time, it won't be long before the tow truck is here"

"Exactly" Cristina said pointedly "it'll all be fine"

It was 7:16 am.

~

Famous last fucking words.

An hour and a half later, we had a tow truck hauling the car away and we were using a rental for the time being. It was only a one hour drive, and we figured we could make it. Addison had three hours left last time we spoke, there was no way she could've progressed so fast in less than two hours.

Again, famous last words.

"Callie?" I ask, picking up the phone "is everything all right?" I was worried, rightly so, but Callie didn't start screaming and yelling. She was calm and I was grateful for that.

"She's gonna be pushing within the hour. The doctor said she's nine centimetres, she's broken both my hands off while screaming as loud as she possibly can. Meredith, I don't want to stress you out but she needs you here" Callie sighed through the phone "what's taking so long?"

"Fuck" I curse "fuck. We busted a flat on the side of interstate 90. We're on the way now, don't tell Addie I don't want her to worry. We'll be there in half an hour, tops. I promise"

"I better get to be the godmother for this" Callie warned "my hand is literally bruised"

I hung up the phone, sighing loudly, frustration running through my entire being. I was pissed off, I was upset, I didn't know what to do. There was nothing I could do except sit here and watch Cristina drive.

"Addie's going to be pushing within the hour, less than that even. We gotta get there in half an hour" I tell her "we have to make this forty five minute drive in thirty minutes or I might miss it"

"It's okay" Cristina said, going as fast as she possibly could "we can't go any faster, you're no good to Addison if we wrap this car around a pole. But we'll get there soon, don't worry"

Regardless, I worried.

It was 8:48 am.

~

Finally, fucking finally, we got to the hospital. I jumped out of the car like it was on fire, and ran as fast as my feet could take me. The elevators were running slow, so I anxiously ran up the stairs, not even noticing the pains in my sides or the hard breathing. I could only focus on getting there.

I knocked over carts, pushed past people, I must've looked like I'd went and lost my mind. But I couldn't be late, I had to be there. I wouldn't accept anything else than seeing my child being brought into the world by the woman I love most on the planet.

When I opened the door, I finally let myself breathe and see what awaited me.

It was 9:21 am.

~

Our daughter, Elizabeth Calliope Montgomery-Grey, was born at 9:32 am, weighing in at a small four pounds two ounces and a tiny eighteen inches long. She was little, a petite girl, and I got to see every moment of her entrance to life.

"Isn't she just perfect" Addison smiled, running a finger down her tiny pink fingers "aren't you just perfect?" She cooed at the baby, who we had decided to call Eliza.

"She's perfect like her Mama" I smile at Addison, who looks even more exhausted than I feel. "You did such a good job though, I can't believe you made this" I hold Addison's free hand in my own, in awe of the tiny little love interest love of my life's arms.

"I'm glad you got here" Addison said, relieved "Callie was a great help, it was good to have her, but I wanted you the whole time. Just you"

We'd named Eliza after Callie because we were both so grateful she was here. If I couldn't have been, I wouldn't have picked anyone else to sit with my wife while my baby was born.

"Since she's named after her, maybe she won't be so mad when we announce Cristina's the godmother" I joke lightly, as Eliza opens her tiny mouth to yawn.

Addison just laughs.