༻Chapter 17༺

Principal's office

Russia's POV
I was in the hallway on my knees with my bloody nose, and not only of anger after what happened at this point.
The fight was pretty much over now.
China stopped America by throwing him to the floor and the principal was there, he saw enough to say that the ones in the fight were me and America.
The bell rang and everyone had to go back in their classes. The only ones that stayed were Canada, China and Vietnam.
We've been brought to the Nursery, we got bandages and ice for our wounds, and afterwards we went to the principal's office, just me and America.

"Come, and sit." The principal said as soon as we stepped in.
"Are we in trouble?" I asked.
"Take a guess." He replied.
"..." I didn't respond and just sat on a chair, America sat on the other one and started to tap with his right foot. We were both worried cause what happened was obviously serious.
"Mind explain me what happened? Why did you fight?" The principal questioned.
"We...were arguing, but then it seemed like the situation went far..." America quietly explained.
"Seemed?? It did went way too far! Why? Why were you arguing?" The principal asked.
"He was mocking me and my dead father, he called me a monster, plus he was literally the one who started to throw hands." I quickly answered.
"He was bothering my sister! Even after I told him that our family didn't want us to be with him he kept insisting! Plus he's starting to be a really bad influence on her! And what I did was auto defense, before he could've attack me." He added right after. I turned to him and looked surprised to all the shit he said.
"What!? All I wanted was just greet her! I didn't insist or anything! And I never wanted to attack you, I did got closer, and maybe had some thoughts on hitting your face with the election board, but never did! Also, how am I a bad influence on her!? Just because she talks to me it doesn't mean she'll become 'bad'!" I exclaimed.
"Tsk, yeah, sure, she perfectly knew that she wasn't allowed by our parents but still disobeyed and kept talking with you in secret, lying is bad, right!?" He replied.
"Well maybe lying is bad but prohibiting someone to talk to their friend because you don't like 'em can actually be worse..." I said.
He rolled his eyes and looked away from me.
"So...let me understand...Canada is the main reason why you two fought...?" The principle asked.
"I...wouldn't move the fault to her..." I quietly answered.
"It's because it's YOUR fault! All I wanted was to protect her and I had all rights to, I'm her BROTHER remember!? You're just some trouble maker that suddenly came into her life, nothing more! Her boyfriend? NO! You're NOTHING!" America added right after.
"America calm down...you're the school representative, you're supposed to represent and protect all the students of this institute, not go against them. Russia said that all he wanted was to greet her, nothing too bad!" The principal replied.
"I KNOW! I PERFECTLY KNOW THAT! I'm NOT the one that didn't understand the others intention, HE'S the one that needs to get what the other wants to do! All I want is to PROTECT my little SISTER from all the bad stuff that could happen! My parents don't want her to talk to Russia for obvious reasons! And he better understand that!" America yelled.
I went silent after what America said. I didn't know what to think about what he said, at this point I didn't know what was the "bad" he was referring to. Me, their parents or maybe something else.
"Alright...this is more complicated than what I thought..." The principal said sighing, he then raised back his look back at us, and with a more determined look he added: "I'll send to your families a letter to report you behavior today, this will influence your final grade, also detention for the both of you.".
We both nodded without saying anything, afterwards we just went back to our classrooms.

When I entered the classroom my classmates were all already there, Canada too, with the teacher explaining economics.
They all looked at me with a worried look, but none of them dared to make questions.
I sat and went on with the lessons.

*Time skips*

The second break came and the principal asked for me to come into his office again, so I did, but I wasn't sure why this time.
Once there I knocked at the door and after I heard the "Come in!" I opened the door.
The principal greeted me and invited me to sit on the chair in front of him, the one where I sat the convocation before.
"May I ask why I'm here?...Again?" I questioned.
"Russia...after what happened before I got perplexed on a lot of stuff...you know?" The principal said.
"Yeah...?" I replied a bit confused.
"I'd like to ask you some questions, the situation between you, United States of America and Dominion of Canada seems to be a bit serious and I'd like to know more about..." He explained.
"Umm...alright, sure! As long as it is something I can answer." I announced.
"Of course, don't worry, it's nothing too complex, answer to what you can." He replied.
I nodded and as soon as I accepted he pulled out a white paper sheet with a pen. I was confused, but I didn't ask anything.
He began with the questions.
"Alright...Russian Federation...you're close with Canada, right? For how long now?" He asked.
"I-I...yeah, we're cool with each other I guess. We've been in contact since...I don't know...September? Don't remember how long precisely, but it's been a couple months now." I answered. While talking I noticed that the principal started to take notes quickly. What was he going to do?
"You two have really many classes together right? But like, it's been three years now and you two knew each other for awhile now, why all of a sudden you get closer?" He kept questioning.
"Um..." It was the second question and I was already struggling. Our friendship wasn't an actual one, and the true reason is just a matter of blackmail, I had to invent something: "It's...it started with me that basically didn't liked her, and she didn't liked me too, so the feeling was mutual for the first years. Then I started to have problems with maths and since Canada is a kind hearted person she helped me, I got better but now that her brother won't let me and her have contact it's harder..."
"Are you sure that this is the reason?" He asked.
"Yeah...why...?" I replied.
"I talked to Canada before..." He said, and with that I froze in place. Fuck, she didn't say anything, right?
The principal pulled out three folders from a drawer. Those were mine, Canada and America's folders. The ones where all our grades and personal informations were kept.
My hands were sweaty, I was so nervous in that moment as the principal pulled out a paper from my folder.
"Hmm..." The principal looked at it and then moved his sight to me. I tried to look natural as the principal started to talk again: "I see that your grades from September got better."
"REALLY!?" I exclaimed in surprise.
"Yep, seems like Canada's help was a good impact on you." He said.
"Yeah..." I murmured.
"Canada talked me about it...about how she helped you with a lot of stuff, not only math. She has a great soul, having the desire to help you, even after you basically ended up in a fight with her dear brother." He continued.
I nodded, he was right. I really wonder if she's able to see my red flags.
"You know...she talked about you in a very good way, told me a lot of stuff that I'd never imagine you would ever do. You offered her breakfast, entertained her little brothers, helped her out against bad people, lighten up a lot of her days. I think you mean more than...'someone that needs help in math' for her. A friend, isn't it?" He explained.
"Eheh...yeah...a friend..." I nervously replied.
"I mean, if she ever meant something more then..." The principal added.
"No no, heh, I'm pretty sure it's that..." I said.
"Now...you do see her as a good friend too, right?" He asked.
"Yeah, yeah...I do." I replied.
"Hmm...kinda struggling with the fact that America doesn't like you, isn't it?" He announced.
"Yeah...? What do you mean by that?" I questioned.
"*Sight* I'll talk to United States about it and try to understand why is he like this, okay?" He suggested.
"Well...sure, it'd help me if I knew why. He keeps saying that it's because of my father tho, so I'd like to know how to solve this more." I answered.
"Sure, I'll see. But you gotta collaborate too, Russia. Try to talk to him about it." He added.
"Hm? How? I tried multiple times to make him understand that I have no intention to hurt his family but he refuses to listen." I explained.
"You two still have detention together, you can try to talk to him during it, he surely won't be mad as before so try, okay?" He responded.
"Hm...fine, I'll try." I replied.
"Perfect. It was a pleasure to talk with you Russia, see you next time." He concluded.
I stood up and went out of the office.

The breakfast was almost over and when I came out I instantly noticed my friends waiting for me.
"Russia!" Vietnam screamed as soon as she saw me. The all started to run towards me.
"How did it go? What did the principal say?" China asked.
"Uh, nothing, just asked about me and what was going on between me, Canada and America." I replied.
"You didn't say about the 'black mailed friendship' between you and the maple lady, didn't you?" North Korea questioned.
"Wha- oh, I forgot that you all already know it...and no, of course I didn't." I answered.
"And then? What else, that's all?" Laos said.
"Well...he now wants me to try to talk to America, try to solve stuff, prolly because of Canada." I added.
"Ahah, the fact that a singular girl is capable to cause so much drama is drastically amazing!" China said giggling, right after the bell rang and we had to get into our classes.
But before we did North Korea asked: "I really wonder why you need her so much, I thought that you didn't considerate her as a friend, weird..." Then they started to head into their classes.
"She's a great privilege..." I quietly responded, but as soon as I did I started to feel bad.
Was it because I knew that I actually meant something for Canada? Maybe just pity.

I just had to convince myself. Nothing more than a black mailed friendship.