06. broken promise

"That is Nini?" Richard asked very shocked. 

"Yes that's Nini." Red nodded. 

He looked at him in disbelief. "Nini? Like Nini Salazar-Roberts? Your cousin Nini?" 

"How many people named Nini do you think I know?" his friend replied. "Yes it's Nini. She changed, right?"

"A lot." Ricky nodded. "What has happened? She is dressed in black, Nini has never worn black." 

"Well now she only wears black clothes." Big Red told him. 

"What?" he surprised him again. "What happened to Nini who only wore a pink and yellow dresses because she said that those colors reminded her of happiness?"

"So you do remember things about her." 

"Of course I do." he replied sadly, looking at the brunette. "She was my best friend."

"And why isn't she your best friend anymore?" 

He did not even know the answer to this question. They used to spend as much time together as they could. There was no day they didn't see each other... but when Ricky left for Los Angeles, after a while they lost touch.

"I actually don't know." Richard whispered and Big Red looked at him in disappointment. 

He cleared his throat. "Oh and by the way, it's not Nini anymore. It's Nina." 

"What? Why?" 

"Don't know." he shrugged. "Ask her. One day she just told everyone to call her Nina again."

"That's so weird. Why would she do that?" the boy was very confused. "And why is she so mad at me?"

"Red, table six wants two black coffees." Nina came back. 

"Can you make them?"  he asked her, walking away. "I have to go to table three with these meals."

"I'll do it." she replied because she didn't want to be alone with Richard. 

"No, make coffee." he ordered her since he wanted them to talk. 

She sighed, watching her cousin leave and stepped closer to the coffee maker that was near Ricky. 

The boy didn't start talking to her as she expected, he was silent for what she was happy for. But he wanted to say something, he just didn't know what, he didn't know how to start a conversation with the person with whom he used to talked about everything, and he never had a problem because he didn't know what to say, they could talk all night and never run outta things to talk about.

"You have changed." he suddenly told her. 

"And you know who I am." the brunette avoided eye contact with him. "We are both in shock."

"I'm serious."

"Yeah, people change." she answered simply. "Did you expect me to be the same as when I was ten?" 

"No, but I didn't expect such a change." he replied. 

"Can I get you something?" she asked with a forced smile. 

"No, thanks." 

"Oh... so I'm so so sorry," she began sarcastically. "but if you don't order anything, I'll have to ask you to leave." 

"Okay." he nodded, and she was relieved because she thought that he would stand up and start walking toward the door. "I'll have a black coffee too."

It angered her but she said nothing just grabbed another cup and started making coffee. 

"You broke your promise." all of a sudden he told her. 

Nina was surprised and didn't understand what he meant. "What are you talking about?" she rolled her eyes. 

"When we were little we promised that we would not lie to each other." the boy explained to her. "And you lied to me." 

"Okay, and what did I lie about?"

"When I asked you if we had met before," Richard started telling her. "you said no. And that was obviously a lie."

"Well we also promised to be best friends forever and look at us now." Nina looked him straight into his eyes. "You didn't even recognize me."

"I'm sorry." was all he told her.

"I don't mind." she lied. "I didn't expect you to come and hug me. I knew you'd forget about me there... Look, we both live a new life, we are no longer those kids who could not live without each other. I'm not that little naive Nini anymore and you're not my Ricky, now you're Richard. And sorry but if I'm being honest I don't like Richard. I'm not friends with him, and I don't even want to."

Before Ricky could say anything, the girl handed him his coffee and walked away with more cups toward the tables.

______this is a short one but i actually really like this one too, idk why

______
this is a short one but i actually really like this one too, idk why

anyway, hope u enjoyed, Sof♡