12. picnic

"Hey cousin!" Big Red greeted Nina as she walked out the front door. He was waiting for her outside her small house with a picnic basket in his hand.

"Hey Red!" she told him with a small smile. "I have muffins." 

"Ohh chocolate?"

She nodded. "Yup. Your favorite."

"But you know Ricky can't eat this because of his allergies."

"Seriously?" she asked sarcastically. "I had no idea." 

"Yeah right." the boy rolled his eyes.

"Of course I knew it." she admitted smiling as she put the muffins in the basket. "That's why I made them."

"Are you trying to poison him?" he asked. "Should I start fearing you?"

"You guys made me invite him." she said and started walking.

"Because the poor guy doesn't know anyone here-"

"Well, if he hadn't moved away, he would have friends here." she interrupted him.

"You wanted him to go. And he is now living his dream."

"Why are you on his side?" the brunette stopped and looked at her cousin angrily.

"I am not." he shook his head as he took a deep breath. "I'm not on anyone's side."

"Well you should." the girl said before Red could continue. "You should be on my side. I'm your family he's just some boy you haven't seen in years. He didn't even call you and suddenly he acts like nothing happened, like he never left." Nina finished and angrily started walking again, she didn't care that Red didn't come with her.

The boy exhaled and after a few seconds he started walking too.

...

"Oh god he came." Nina whispered rolling her eyes as she saw a curly haired boy with sunglasses and a cap walking towards her and her friends.

"Hey Ricky!" Red greeted the boy sweetly.

"Hi guys!" Richard said smiling. Everyone smiled back at him except one girl and that made him nervous. 

About an hour passed and a group was eating, laughing and talking. In the beginning it was a bit strange because Nina was angry at the fact that the singer was sitting next to her, but now she was calmer. She still didn't like that they were spending time together but she decided to ignore him.

"Do you want to play a game maybe?" Seb asked. They all agreed as they didn't know what to talk about anymore.

"Never have I ever?" Ricky suggested, the others nodded except for one person.

"I hate that game." Nina shook her head. "What about truth or dare?"

"Nah right now I'm too tired to do anything." Gina said taking a sip of her lemonade. "Let's just play the truth. We will ask each other random questions and we all have to answer them." Her friends agreed with this idea and so Gina asked the first question. "If you were an animal what animal would you be and why?"

"I would be an elephant because they are strong and great leaders." Kourtney answered right away. "Or a lion since I'm the queen of the jungle."

"I think I would be a dog." Ricky told the others. "I just love dogs. They are adventurous, they like to explore, they are smart and they learn quickly. They are playful and loyal."

Loyal. Nina smiled when she heard that word, because that's not how she imagined his answer. And she didn't agree with it.

"Definitely a cat." Nina said not even knowing why. She only knew that she wanted to say the complete opposite of Richard. "Because I am independent. I appreciate the attention but I don't need it."

"What is your biggest regret?" Kourtney asked after everyone had said the answer to the previous question.

"That I went ice skating two years ago because it was cold and I got sick and my mom wouldn't let me go to the Taylor Swift concert." Nina answered. "I will hold this against her for the rest of my life."

"That I didn't say yes when that cute guy asked me out a month ago." Gina said sadly. 

"That I left." Richard said quietly but loud enough for the others to hear. 

Suddenly everyone got nervous and didn't know what to say. They didn't know whether to develop a conversation about it or continue playing. 

Not wanting this awkward silence to continue, Big Red asked another question. "Uh- what is a bad habit you have? I- um I bite my nails."

"Oh gross." Kourt frowned. "I could never mess up my beautiful manicure. But I guess you could say that I take criticism badly." 

"I can't lose." Gina told the others. "If I lose, you don't want to see what I'll be like:" 

"I don't know what my bad habit is." Nina shrugged and took a bite of her sadwich. "Maybe I just don't have any because I'm just perfect." she joked. 

"Not true." Ricky laughed. He didn't even know how he got the courage to talk to her normally again, but he didn't want to stop. "I remember well that when you are nervous you speak with a British accent." 

"But that's not a bad thing." she laughed and shook her head."People like it even though I hate it." 

"Yes it's cute." Ricky told her. 

At that moment Nina seemed to forget who she was talking to. It was like going back in time to when they were best friends. 

"Plus when you are nervous you talk very fast and talk too much. At that moment you say whatever comes to mind." 

Nina smiled. "Yeah I guess that's true." 

They just smiled at each other for a while. Until Nina realized what was happening. 

"Uh next question." she said, interrupting their moment.

"My turn." The popstar said. "Who was your first kiss?"

Before anyone could answer Nina told them. "That's a stupid question. I'm done with this game."

"Why?"

"Um- it's pretty late, I think I'll go now."

"Uh yeah okay, I'll go with you." Red said standing up. 

"No you don't have to." the girl replied. "I'm not going straight home, I have to stop at work, I forgot some notes for school and there's a test on Monday, so I need them." 

"Then I'll go with you." Richard suddenly said. "My house is in that direction." 

"I thought you had a personal driver." she said because she didn't want to be alone with him. 

"Is it bad that I want to walk?" 

She just rolled her eyes and started walking away. 

The friends were not surprised that she didn't even say bye, they just smiled at Ricky, as they knew that he would have a difficult time with her. 

The singer took a deep breath and ran after her.

——————
Well hello again, it's been a while 

By the way, have any of you seen the summer i turned pretty??? I love it. 

if so are you team conrad or team jeremiah?

Sofi♡